Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Alan Savage

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Alan Savage

Post by Misfit » Wed August 12th, 2009, 9:18 am

Queen of Lions by Alan Savage. It's about Margaret of Anjou, although it's shaking out to be unintentionally funny. More later :) ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu August 13th, 2009, 3:54 am

Posted by Misfit
Queen of Lions by Alan Savage. It's about Margaret of Anjou, although it's shaking out to be unintentionally funny. More later
His one about Joanna I of Naples ("Queen of the Night") is hilariously OTT. In fact he seems to have got his Joannas mixed up or maybe created a composite out of Joanna I and Joanna II (see article here)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 13th, 2009, 12:30 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Misfit

His one about Joanna I of Naples ("Queen of the Night") is hilariously OTT. In fact he seems to have got his Joannas mixed up or maybe created a composite out of Joanna I and Joanna II (see article here)[/quote]

Oh good, I'll have to search that one out as well. Can't wait to get to Chapter 13, BB tells me its a doozy. :) :p

Found a cover at Fantastic Fiction,

Last edited by Misfit on Thu August 13th, 2009, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 13th, 2009, 3:03 pm

Had to start a new thread so I didn't go OT. I just found he's written a book on Eleanor of Aquitaine and a most hilarious review at Amazon.
he has her in bed with Louis, her uncle Raymond, Saladin (even though he was only 11 when they met), a Greek pirate, the troubadour Bernard of Ventadour (of course, although for awhile I thought he was going to leave him out), and of course both Henry II and his father, Count Geoffrey. When he got to the point where he also had her experimenting with her maids, the bath maidens in Constantanople, and even with the Empress Matilda, it was too much for me.
Let's see, what is good about the book? Well, Eleanor doesn't go to bed with Bernard of Clairvaux, Abbe Sugar, or the monk Galeran.
:D :D :D :D I must get my hands on this one if the price ever goes down.
Last edited by Misfit on Thu August 13th, 2009, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu August 13th, 2009, 3:42 pm

Oh dear. These do sound pretty dreadful. I've always loved the idea that Eleanor and Saladin were in bed together -- albeit he must have been terribly precocious at that age! Poor Eleanor has been tossed into bed with so many people, altho I do think that she was quite the opposite, very aware that she was a queen, and if she did commit adultery, she was careful about it.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu August 13th, 2009, 4:20 pm

I do have the Margaret of Anjou one (bought it before I knew the scoop on it). I might read it at some point for the laugh factor. Maybe he's trying to live vicariously through his characters!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 13th, 2009, 4:38 pm

I found a copy of the Eleanor book for $7 and couldn't resist. Can't find a cover anywhere. Will scan when I get it unless Tanzanite can find it. Already checked ebay and Fantastic fiction.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu August 13th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Alan Savage is a pseudonym for British author Christopher Nicole, who has been quite a prolific writer over the years. He writes under other names as well:
Robin Cade, Nicholas Grant, Caroline Gray, Max Marlow, C R Nicholson, Robin Nicholson and Andrew York. Nearly as good as Eleanor Hibbert, aka Jean Plaidy, aka etc!
http://www.romance-novels.org/authors/c ... nicole.htm

Missed a couple! He also uses the names Leslie Arlen, Christina Nicholson and Alison York, according to Fantastic Fiction
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n/christopher-nicole.
Last edited by annis on Thu August 13th, 2009, 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu August 13th, 2009, 10:31 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I found a copy of the Eleanor book for $7 and couldn't resist. Can't find a cover anywhere. Will scan when I get it unless Tanzanite can find it. Already checked ebay and Fantastic fiction.[/quote]

No luck so far...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 14th, 2009, 12:09 am

Thanks for trying. I got a shipping confirmation today so I'll scan it when I have it in my hot little hands.

Return to “By Author”