Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Margaret Campbell Barnes

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Margaret Campbell Barnes

Post by Misfit » Sat August 30th, 2008, 9:12 pm

This just popped up on my new releases on Amazon.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 10:27 pm

I have a review copy of this book, and without giving too much away, keep an eye on the announcements box soon!

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Mon September 8th, 2008, 8:15 pm

The publicist contacted me through my blog and asked if I would like a copy to review and of course, I said yes - who can say no to a free book?! I should be finished with it tonight and will post my thoughts/review.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon September 8th, 2008, 8:42 pm

[quote=""amyb""]The publicist contacted me through my blog and asked if I would like a copy to review and of course, I said yes - who can say no to a free book?! I should be finished with it tonight and will post my thoughts/review.[/quote]

I love the work of Margaret Campbell Barnes. The publisher is Sourcebooks who are really pushing forward in the historical fiction market at the moment.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon September 8th, 2008, 11:30 pm

I hope they re-release more of her books. I own several and really like them.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon September 8th, 2008, 11:57 pm

I was delighted to see My Lady of Cleves at Borders and got my own copy.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:56 am

I have four of her novels in their original trade 1970s releases. The covers are very cool, all willowy and Klimt-like; and one in its original hardcover about Henry VIII's fool, Will Somers (it's eerily like Margaret George's premise for "Autobiography of Henry VIII, written years later). I really liked Barnes' novel on Isabella, She-Wolf of France, but I haven't read "Brief, Gaudy Hour" or "My Lady of Cleves" yet. I just unearthed them recently while cleaning out book boxes. I was determined to give away some books - too many, need the space, etc.-and ended up giving away exactly five, two of which I'd unwittingly bought extra copies of. The other 10,000 returned to their homes. Sigh.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:00 am

I have Mary of Carisbrooke on my TBR pile due to a friend's recommendation.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue September 9th, 2008, 7:34 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]I have four of her novels in their original trade 1970s releases. The covers are very cool, all willowy and Klimt-like; and one in its original hardcover about Henry VIII's fool, Will Somers (it's eerily like Margaret George's premise for "Autobiography of Henry VIII, written years later). I really liked Barnes' novel on Isabella, She-Wolf of France, but I haven't read "Brief, Gaudy Hour" or "My Lady of Cleves" yet. I just unearthed them recently while cleaning out book boxes. I was determined to give away some books - too many, need the space, etc.-and ended up giving away exactly five, two of which I'd unwittingly bought extra copies of. The other 10,000 returned to their homes. Sigh.[/quote]

Sounds somewhat similar to my idea of a bookshelf clear out. Last time I did one, I gave away about 12 books, and all but 2 of them ended up back on my bookshelf! :o
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

iliana

Post by iliana » Wed September 10th, 2008, 2:42 am

I've just finished reading Brief Gaudy Hour and really enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to My Lady Cleeves. I was lucky enough to be contacted by Sourcebooks about this author. I can't believe I had never even heard of her before. Seems I was really missing out.
Bookgirl's Nightstand
http://www.bookgirl.net

Return to “By Author”