Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Gothic Novel

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue January 13th, 2009, 12:11 am

Northanger Abbey is wonderful. It's my favorite of all of Jane Austen's novels. And hilarious even if you haven't read any Gothics.

Just got The Castle of Otranto, and so far I'm still reading introductory material (seems to be longer than the actual story).

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue January 13th, 2009, 12:34 am

Recently read and really enjoyed Hannah Tinti's "The Good Thief", a rather Dickensian Victorian tale with a distinctly gothic flavour.
It's technically YA fiction, but I'd say that it's in the YA/Adult crossover area.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue January 13th, 2009, 1:20 am

Bungay Castle by Elizabeth Bonhote is an interesting read and perhaps the first teen detectives in a novel. Lots of interesting ups and downs and things that go bump in the night.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue January 13th, 2009, 3:59 pm

Thanks for mentioning the Bonhote novel, Misfit. I have a weakness for some of these older books. This one looks interesting.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue August 11th, 2009, 3:33 pm

Saw this website with covers from vintage 20th century gothic romance novels. Thought some of you might enjoy browsing through the covers. I recognize many of them, probably read quite a few in my youth, but remember virtually nothing about the plots. Such is the state of my memory these days.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue August 11th, 2009, 4:08 pm

Read the article. By the definitions it gives, Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' is gothic in all but the castle.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue August 11th, 2009, 8:11 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Saw this website with covers from vintage 20th century gothic romance novels. Thought some of you might enjoy browsing through the covers. [/quote]

I love the Helen McInnes 'red staircase' cover. Very atmospheric.

And speaking of covers. Here is a 1965 attempt to market Northanger Abbey to fans of Gothic fiction, just then I think having its biggest vogue since JA's day.

http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/nhabgoth.jpg

http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/nabgoth2.gif

"What was the mystery surrounding the death of Henry's mother? Was the family concealing a terrible secret within the elegant rooms of the Abbey?"

Um...no.

I hope whoever bought it saw the funny side.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed August 12th, 2009, 3:03 pm

I don't much care for the stuff on the back cover. But that other blurb was hilarious--Catherine almost could have written it herself.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed August 12th, 2009, 7:06 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I don't much care for the stuff on the back cover. But that other blurb was hilarious--Catherine almost could have written it herself.[/quote]

Yes - this is the novel Catherine thinks she's in.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 4th, 2009, 12:12 am

ok so I love Fall, and it's right around the corner so I'm stocking up on some creepy, scary down right frightful books for Halloween (my secret most favorite social gathering of the year). I was wondering if anyone has read any good scary stuff? Recently I read Haunted Lily, Heart Shaped Box and a collaberated ghost story book which I should never have bought, waste of money. Anyways if you can help thanks!

Return to “Others”