Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Another new member

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat August 8th, 2009, 12:24 pm

Oh I loved the Alatriste series, the first three. Then I just started losing interest. I may need to reread and then try to coninue again (it may have just been my mood at the time.) Welcome!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat August 8th, 2009, 4:19 pm

[quote=""Jonathan""]Divia - checked out and enjoyed your YA blog. We share similar vocations, I work at the Dallas Library Children's Center as a Library Associate. I find much of the best current writing is done for these age groups, a certain purity to the good stuff.[/quote]

Thanks for checking out the blog :) Its always nice to meet someone else who reads the younger stuff. :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat August 8th, 2009, 5:01 pm

Nice to meet you Jonathan!

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Post by Anna Elliott » Sat August 8th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Welcome! It's nice to meet you!

Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat August 8th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Hi Jonathan and welcome to the boards.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat August 8th, 2009, 10:40 pm

Hi Jonathan. Welcome to the boards!

Look forward to hearing more from you.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun August 9th, 2009, 2:35 am

Hi Jonathan, good to see you here. I really enjoy the swashbucklers, too, and Harold Lamb and Robert E howard are on my favourites list.

I'm intrigued by your Italian author, as i haven't come across him before ( that's one thing that's so good about this forum - discovering new authors :) ) His settings sound interesting, so I'll have to check him out. I did find a sampler of his first Sandokan novel, and i like his style, which doesn't seem as florid as some C19th authors.
First 3 chapters of "The Mystery of the Black Jungle"

Jonathan
Scribbler

Thanks again

Post by Jonathan » Sun August 9th, 2009, 4:41 am

Again thanks for all the welcomes, this seems to be a very engaging group. I am enjoying sorting through members various links, blogs, etc.
Annis - Harold Lamb is new to me, any suggested titles to start with? I recently finished reading some of Howard's Cormac Fitzgeoffrey stories.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun August 9th, 2009, 6:58 am

Harold Lamb has become a bit of an unknown, though he was a major influence on authors like Robert E Howard. His books have been outof print for some time, but several have recently been republished, and i'd suggest you try for those- "The Cossack Adventures", "Swords from the West" and "Swords from the Desert"> Like Howard Lamb wrote mostly for the pulp adventure magazines, so a lot of his fiction is in story, rather than novel format.

Howard Jones, who is a long-time, dedicated HL fan, has a very useful website, called The Curved Saber and you'll find quite a bit of info there.

I only discovered Lamb fairly recently (from this forum) and started off with "Durandal" which is a novel set in the Latin Empire of the thirteenth century. I was impressed with it and wrote a review of it for the Historical Novels Info website, run by Margaret Donsbach who is also a member here.
http://www.historicalnovels.info/Durandal.html
Unfortunately 'Durandal" is fairly hard to find and quite expensive.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun August 9th, 2009, 10:01 am

Hi Jonathan,

welcome. we share some of the same tastes. I have read a few captain Altriste novels. Ive also a few read Harold lambs cossaak stories. the good news is his stuff is scheduled to be rerelesed in the next few years. as annis mentions, ive yet to see a reasonaly priced version of durandal so hopefully that will be rereleased soon.

And if you like Robert Howard, I hope youve read his collection of crusader stories "lord of samarkand". for me, they are howards best writings, strong HF with realism rather than the fantasy in the later conan/kull stuff.

and you managed to find an author annis wasnt familar with. thats a first. just kidding, annis. :-)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”