Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Sat August 8th, 2009, 12:44 am

LH, that is horrible and reprehensible, but sadly, not that surprising. I don't have a credit card any more since I lost my full-time job 7 years ago and started freelancing, even though I now earn 2x what I used to. There was that nasty experience -- and the fact that even though I called them immediately to tell them what had happened (and wasn't even in arrears on a payment!) they promptly demanded the whole sum & went straight to a collection agency. And then the agency pulled that nonsense. So now I stick with the bank-issued Visa and MC debit cards. If I ever buy a home or a car, that is secured debt, which is different. But as long as I can use debit MC/Visa, I'm not going to go back to that horror show. You just wonder how many people end up in the situation you are in now, and don't have the chutzpah to tackle them or even realize what is going on!

I'm on Vicodin & antibiotics until Monday at 9 when I will be at the dentist's. I have had one abscess before, long time ago, and it feels like that (though no swelling.) I just hope it can be dealt with easily & reasonably cheaply. The Vicodin isn't really making much of a dent in the pain at all, which tells me that it's something nasty. Like Misfit, with the exception of migraines (which leave me unable to see or think), I'm used to dealing with pain and it takes a lot of it to get me to this stage. So I'm going to take myself offline for the weekend or until the painkillers work...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 8th, 2009, 1:22 am

CB, I'm rooting for you (bad pun). I feel your pain, and it sounds like you got the right stuff. When I begged for pity they gave me something that made me break out in hives.

LH, you go and put on the cape and get on your bandwagon.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun August 9th, 2009, 10:36 pm

The free repair to my car lasted approximately 5 days. This week I will have to get a new clutch put in as I have the same problems changing gear again as I did last week.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed August 12th, 2009, 11:42 pm

I've been sick since Monday, with dizzy spells and headaches. Called the doctor and we both think it's the new meds I'm taking for fibromyalgia, Mon. was the day I started a higher doze of it, I wasn't sick on the lower doses that I started on Fri.

One odd thing is I don't feel so ill when I'm in the act of eating something, weird. But I can't do that all day!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu August 13th, 2009, 7:50 am

Very expensive day!

My car is now fixed, and it has new tyres as well, and the second instalment for my son's camp is paid, but oh my goodness, that all added up very quickly! I woke up this morning with money in my account, and now there's not much at all! Bring on pay day!

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri August 14th, 2009, 1:20 pm

It's been a hard day today.

One of my work colleagues was killed in a motorcycle accident and we are all very, very shocked.
Last edited by diamondlil on Fri August 14th, 2009, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edith Wharton

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri August 14th, 2009, 1:26 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]It's been a hard day today.

One of my work colleagues was killed in a car accident and we were all very, very shocked.[/quote]

Sorry to hear this. How horrible. My condolences.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri August 14th, 2009, 1:38 pm

So sorry to learn of your sad news, Marg. How very tragic and shocking for everyone concerned.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri August 14th, 2009, 2:25 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]It's been a hard day today.

One of my work colleagues was killed in a motorcycle accident and we are all very, very shocked.[/quote]

Oh dear, that's terrible. Feeling for you all.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri August 14th, 2009, 5:25 pm

I'm very sorry, Diamondlil.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Return to “Chat”