Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Precious Bane by Mary Webb

Lady Macbeth
Scribbler

Post by Lady Macbeth » Sun August 2nd, 2009, 10:15 am

[quote=""Leo62""]
ETA: There was a BBC version of Precious Bane about 20 years ago, featuring a very young Clive Owen. Don't know if it's available anywhere...[/quote]

I managed to pick up a DVD (video transfer) on Ebay a couple of years ago. :)

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sun August 2nd, 2009, 10:40 am

[quote=""Lady Macbeth""]I managed to pick up a DVD (video transfer) on Ebay a couple of years ago. :) [/quote]

Ooh I'd love to see it again! *scuttles off to ebay* :D

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 4:51 am

Posted by Leo62
Stella Gibbons can go *&^% herself
Hey, i like "Cold Comfort Farm" :)
I wish life's problems could really be solved as easily as Flora manages with her handy handbook "The Higher Common Sense"!

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 1:07 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Leo62

Hey, i like "Cold Comfort Farm" :)
[/quote]
I like it too - just don't think it's as great as it's made out to be. And I always thought she was taking the **** out of DH Lawrence - didn't know it was aimed at poor old Mary Webb. :D

Lady Macbeth
Scribbler

Post by Lady Macbeth » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 4:14 pm

I think it was aimed at the rural novel in general but Precious Bane was only written about ten years or so before Cold Comfort Farm and had a high profile at the time. :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 8:48 pm

Much as I like DH Lawrence, he is the perfect target for a p**s-take - he did take himself so very seriously :) I believe that Sheila Kaye-Smith's rural novels may have been an influence as well as Mary Webb's.

Return to “By Author's Last Name R-Z”