Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

1066 docu-drama

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun September 7th, 2008, 4:33 pm

I love 1066! All that Saxon violence. ;) Netflix better come through on this one.

Lady Macbeth
Scribbler

Post by Lady Macbeth » Sat July 25th, 2009, 9:20 pm

I just found this thread lurking at the bottom of the TV board. Is the Docudrama you're referring to here 1066 - Battle for Middle Earth and, if so, did any of you watch it?

I did and loved it - it's the conquest told largely from the Saxon point of view which is fairly rare. It was a bit heavy on the Lord of the Rings analogy but utterly compelling despite this. I have to confess going a bit weak at the knees at some of the Vikings but was completely in tears by the end esp when Edith Swanneck recognises Harold's dismembered body by the marks on his chest.Image EC - will you ever write their story?

Anyway, if you've not seen this, I would highly recommend it.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat July 25th, 2009, 9:34 pm

[quote=""Lady Macbeth""]I just found this thread lurking at the bottom of the TV board. Is the Docudrama you're referring to here 1066 - Battle for Middle Earth and, if so, did any of you watch it?

I did and loved it - it's the conquest told largely from the Saxon point of view which is fairly rare. It was a bit heavy on the Lord of the Rings analogy but utterly compelling despite this. I have to confess going a bit weak at the knees at some of the Vikings but was completely in tears by the end esp when Edith Swanneck recognises Harold's dismembered body by the marks on his chest.Image EC - will you ever write their story?

Anyway, if you've not seen this, I would highly recommend it.[/quote]

I enjoyed the programme on the whole. I thought there were things they could have done better, but they would have needed an entire week to film all the complexities! I am proud that Regia Anglorum provided the extras and many of the props. I spent quite a bit of the time watching out for people I knew. Trevor, our Nottingham group leader will be forever membered for a shot of him vomiting as the troops ran for the south of England after Stamford Bridge - LOL!
Would I write about it? Answer is yes. Once I've completed my Empress Matilda and Queen Adeliza novel (she has suddenly demanded to share the credits!) I will be working back to the women of the Norman Conquest and that will include Edith. I've already done some preliminary work on her.
I don't know if you've read it, but you could try Harold the King by Helen Hollick. Also, if you can get them from the library or second hand, try Valerie Anand's Gildenford series for the story of how it all pans out over this period. :) Oh, forgot to mention and not sure if it's upthread or not, but there are some shots of the 1066 filming here at our National Organiser's webshots.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564125679VlhkVa
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Lady Macbeth
Scribbler

Post by Lady Macbeth » Sat July 25th, 2009, 9:47 pm

Thanks EC - great pictures. I have read Harold the King (and it's prequel of sorts A Hollow Crown) and very much enjoyed them. Very excited to hear that you'll be venturing back to the Conquest some time soon. :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat July 25th, 2009, 9:52 pm

[quote=""Lady Macbeth""]Thanks EC - great pictures. I have read Harold the King (and it's prequel of sorts A Hollow Crown) and very much enjoyed them. Very excited to hear that you'll be venturing back to the Conquest some time soon. :) [/quote]

Ummm....not that /I] soon :eek: I'm due to start writing the next one (Empress) in September for handing in around December of 2010, so it'll be 2011 + before the Hastings babes get their outing!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat July 25th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Parke Godwin's "Lord of Sunset" is one of my favourite novels about the build-up to the Norman Conquest- written from multiple POV. The voices of the different characters are woven together, but the focus is on Edith Swan-neck and Harold Godwinson. It's a poignant story.
I am hanging out for EC's take on he story of Harold and Edith, though :)

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sun July 26th, 2009, 6:52 pm

[quote=""annis""]Parke Godwin's "Lord of Sunset" is one of my favourite novels about the build-up to the Norman Conquest- written from multiple POV. The voices of the different characters are woven together, but the focus is on Edith Swan-neck and Harold Godwinson. It's a poignant story.
I am hanging out for EC's take on he story of Harold and Edith, though :) [/quote]

I'll have to check this one out. Other than Hollick's Harold the King, I haven't read many books about this event that I've really liked.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”