Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon July 20th, 2009, 3:48 am

Waltzing with my little girl while singing Can I Have This Dance? from HSM3. She loves music and dancing. There's nothing in the world like the look on her face when she's happy. And it's really cute when she tries to sing along.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon July 20th, 2009, 4:59 pm

Key lime pie, yum.... one of my favorite things.

Me: well, I managed 8 hours sleep on Saturday night which was amazingly wonderful. And I got a call from my editor at Crown today; he loves the 7 chapters I sent him, and gushed. (He doesn't normally do 'gush' or emotion.) So I'm quite pleased, especially as I sent him mostly first drafts of those chapters... Just finishing #8 now. Home stretch -- last one and a rewrite of the conclusion to do.

Mello
Reader

Post by Mello » Tue July 21st, 2009, 6:15 am

A double-banger best thing.... I have finally finished a month's work of sewing costumes for my daughter's dancing. I can now get back to reading in my spare time instead of sewing.

And I can start tomorrow cause partner and I are off to Japan on a business jaunt for a week. Except it's really all play and no business :D

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue July 21st, 2009, 11:36 am

That sounds great! Have a good time.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Thu July 23rd, 2009, 10:12 pm

I thought I had to boost the 'best thing' thread higher up. Seems a shame that the worst thing thread is higher up!

My best thing: went to the Amazon page for the book I co/ghost wrote (an investment book) and found a review that actually complimented the writing. "Sometimes when I pick up books by veterans of Wall Street they can become so mired in "Streetspeak" that the thing ends up reading like a textbook. That was not the case here. (This) book reads more like an interesting newspaper or novel. If you are intelligent and comfortable with the markets but you do not work on Wall Street, this book is going to work for you."

And it wasn't by anybody I know! :)

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Fri July 24th, 2009, 1:20 am

Congrats Chatterbox! Yes, it does seem a shame that the worst thing thread is longer than the best thing thread. I think that all of us must have at least one good thing that happens to us each day!

Mine is simple - the internet is back up and running in my house! :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri July 24th, 2009, 4:36 am

Okay, I'll contribute -- I have a series of 'best things this week.' First, my Mom, who lives 8 hours away from me in L.A., calls and has decided she wants to find a new home for her geriatric llamas. I have to explain that old animals are hard to find homes for, and I'm not in the right area at all. But then Sunday I run into a lady I sold a pair to 15 years back, and she tells me that one has died and the other is lonely, do I have any more to sell? So I put her in touch with Mom, but the only problem is the shipping. However, the economy being down, my daughter's work gives everybody a week off (no pay), so she is happy to make some $$ going down to transport llamas.

Except these animals haven't been in a vehicle for a decade, and they aren't trained to jump into our pickup. So the new owners suggest they cough up more $$ and my son -- (also slow work period) goes along to help muscle/coax the critters into the truck.

Then they get lost in one of the worst neighborhoods of L.A. and the truck breaks down, requiring my brother, who is normally grumpy, to go haul them out. After which he and my son have a grand time fixing the truck and really bond. Grandma enjoys the company, the critters give no trouble at all loading up, the new owners are charmed with their 'free' animals (they are very sweet old critters), the llamas have a new home and the lonely one has friends, the truck is all better and didn't break down on my watch, my brother is speaking to everybody again, and both kids have had a financially productive week when they expected no income. And I got so sit back and orchestrate, no skin off my nose excepting a few phone calls and the loan of a truck.

So I think that qualifies as a best thing.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Fri July 24th, 2009, 4:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri July 24th, 2009, 12:46 pm

one of my favorite books as a kid was King of the Wind about the Godolphin Arabian and I found a copy to buy cheap for my girls to read when their a little older.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri July 24th, 2009, 6:04 pm

MLE, loved the llama 'happily ever after' story!! Thanks for sharing...

Me -- best thing today is that the mosque loudspeakers have finally stopped broadcasting the weekly sermon. Today's was so loud I actually filed a noise complaint.... I think they've only started doing this in the last few months and it. is. driving. me. around. the. bend. Imagine listening to a political speech via loudspeaker from 1.5 blocks away, loud enough you can hear it in your home and so can the people on the other end of the phone line... But it's over now and I can focus...

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sun July 26th, 2009, 10:07 am

Bumping this up again!

My best thing was that we went to a friends 21st party last night, and had a great time!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Return to “Chat”