Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed July 22nd, 2009, 1:46 am

Nona, I actually worried more in 2006 -- all that leverage just wasn't gonna end well. Now I worry about more macro things, like the change in global balance of power. Because what the financial crisis means is that the US, while still the largest economic power, is going to lose power and status relative to other countries. I'm not sure that I'm going to like living in a world where China is the dominant political and economic power, and that's what we're heading for, IMO. (On a reporting trip there, one person I was interviewing pointed out how 'useless' democracy was, using the example of the construction of Beijing's subway. Apparently Beijing & Delhi (or Mumbai?) decided to create a subway system the same year; while Beijing's was opening, the Indian city hadn't even broken ground yet. "That's democracy for you," he scoffed. Wow, where does one start with that...??) Anyway, our lack of attention to the risks we should have and could have known were in the financial system has meant that we have shot ourselves in the foot.

Okay, rant over. My worst thing is a migraine. Dunno which I hate more, the migraine or the meds that make me too groggy to think clearly.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed July 22nd, 2009, 3:36 am

I couldn't agree more, Chatterbox.

I hope you feel better!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed July 22nd, 2009, 4:18 am

Chatterbox, I have friends in China, and they say the same -- so does my husband, who works for a very large computer company that has (strained) business relations with China. Plus many others I know --What I can't figure, is why the US public is refusing to see the train wreck coming at them when the information is no secret.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed July 22nd, 2009, 6:16 pm

MLE, In the book about Wall Street I'm toiling over, I refer to it as magical thinking (pace, Joan Didion), combined with willful amnesia/oblivion (amnesia when it comes to the past events that have demonstrated this; oblivion when it comes to look forward into our likely future.)

There's plenty to admire in the new China, particularly the energy and zest that used to be such a feature of New York and that I haven't really seen here since 9/11 and the recession of 2000-2002. It was what struck me most forcefully in Shanghai & Beijing -- the sense of unquenchable optimism. Logical, really, since for the most part lives for the average Chinese have improved dramatically in ever possible respect, year after year. Makes it easy to overlook the lack of political freedom, which only a minority appear to value as much as we do here in the West.

Anyway: gripe du jour is that I was supposed to meet a source for lunch today in midtown Manhattan -- 45 mins each way on the subway in hot steamy weather. I didn't want to go, but thought it would be rude to cancel. PR woman called me this morning to remind me, so I got dressed up, high heels & all, got to the restaurant -- and discovered that the booking is actually for tomorrow & she had misinformed me. Now I have to do the whole thing all over again tomorrow.

I'm very grumpy indeed.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Thu July 23rd, 2009, 1:17 am

well I agree with you but since I work in financial business I see the money aspect and people who have been unemployed for 1-2 years or on fixed income due to health, age etc and they can't afford to live with the cost of living so high and wages low or unemployment low that they go without.

I talked with a 76 year old woman all alone no family no friends she lived in a trailer with no running water and no gas. I cried all the way home I felt so bad for her.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Thu July 23rd, 2009, 4:11 pm

Wow, Nona, that really puts all of our "worst things" into perspective, doesn't it...

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri July 24th, 2009, 2:12 am

More annoying then worst, my fave female dancer on "So You Think You Can Dance?" didn't get enough votes and is gone now :(

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri July 24th, 2009, 12:45 pm

The company I'm working for is getting ready to change my groups schedules to work 7-12pm the come back at 4pm and work till 9 pm I was really liking my 7-3:30pm shift or their going to make us work for 10 hour shifts Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon 7-6 with hour lunch. They have not announced it but it's going to happen soon, good thing I have friends high up to give me the heads up. Due to child care and the fact that it's a hour and fifteen minute drive I believe a new job will be in need for me and many other commuters since thee are alot of them.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat July 25th, 2009, 1:24 am

I've been having a hard time with fibromyalgia flare ups, especially in my knees and arms, and very bad neck pains that can trigger my headaches or worse migraines.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Sat July 25th, 2009, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Sat July 25th, 2009, 3:52 am

Ouch, SM. I'm with you. Well, not no the fibromyalgia, but on the migraines. Dunno if it's weather, stress or hormones. Or just forgetting to eat lunch. Anyway, I woke up with one this morning.

Return to “Chat”