Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Greatest Knight/The Scarlet Lion

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

The Greatest Knight/The Scarlet Lion

Post by diamondlil » Tue August 26th, 2008, 10:28 am

Here's a thread to discuss Elizabeth Chadwick's books about William Marshal.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:30 pm

I am reading Greatest Knight, and enjoying it very much. What should I read next by her?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:48 pm

Already answered this in another thread, but I would read The Scarlet Lion, and then A Place Beyond Courage, and then go back to her earlier books.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Sun September 7th, 2008, 1:20 am

I am not into The Greatest Knight that far yet. Am enjoying though! Will post my final views when I finish.
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Mon September 8th, 2008, 3:53 am

I loved The Greatest Knight and Place Beyone Courage, not read the Scarlet Lion yet...Loved those two though!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon September 8th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Im confused. I just posted about Greatest Knight in another thread in this section and then saw this thread. Why are there two threads for the same book? Am I missing something? And should I post the same thing in both?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon September 8th, 2008, 6:45 pm

It's because there's a thread for Elizabeth Chadwick the author on top of the author threads at the moment.If another forum member posts about Philippa Gregory for example, then this heading will disappear from the head of the thread. It's the same with the other posting. It's for reviews. So if someone posts another review under the A-F reviews, The Greatest Knight will disappear. It's just coincidence - but confusing for a minute :cool:
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat September 13th, 2008, 6:59 pm

I've just read The Greatest Knight and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also have The Scarlet Lion, but will probably read A Place Beyond Courage first when the pb comes out here in October, as I'm fascinated by John!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat September 13th, 2008, 8:49 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I've just read The Greatest Knight and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also have The Scarlet Lion, but will probably read A Place Beyond Courage first when the pb comes out here in October, as I'm fascinated by John![/quote]

Me too! I thought he was going to be interesting to write about - not least because of what happened at Wherwell Abbey and that infamous scene at Newbury. I didn't quite realise what an adventure it was going to be and the places it would take me. (To have someone you're writing about (who died 800 years ago) throwing things at you to gain your attention because he feels you're not quite doing him justice re a particular scene is an extraordinary experience)! I'm going to be blogging nearer publication date about perhaps the most extraordinary experience of all.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun September 14th, 2008, 1:21 am

Errgg. My shipment of Scarlet Lion is not going to arrive from Canada till mid October. There's got to be a better way to get this book. Think I'll try ebay (and no, my library doesn't have it)

Return to “Elizabeth Chadwick”