Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Fri July 10th, 2009, 10:07 pm

[quote=""Carine""]Arrived today from Bookdepository :
The Firemaster's Mistress - Christie Dickason
The Principessa - Christie Dickason
Company of Liars - Karen Maitland
Portrait of an Unknown Woman - Vanora Bennett[/quote]

I am really enjoying Portrait atm.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon July 13th, 2009, 3:13 pm

Just bought:

The girl with the dragon tattoo
The girl who played with fire

both by Stieg Larsson.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Charliekat
Scribbler

Post by Charliekat » Mon July 13th, 2009, 7:28 pm

So I was killing time in the bookstore today and found my way into the bargin bin. There was a lot of the junk you usually find in there but was surprised to find "sharon kay penman" peeking out at me.

I bought Prince of Darkness for only $5 brand new!

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon July 13th, 2009, 7:32 pm

I am still waiting for Michelle's book to arrive from Book Depository... The other books, mailed the same day, have been here since last Weds... Grrrr.

No more book purchases for me for a while, however. I did snap up some Juliet Dymoke books at deep discounts, ditto a replacement copy of a Rose for Virtue for a penny plus shipping, but after that, I'll just have to hope I'll get offered something cool in Amazon's Vine program this month.

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Mon July 13th, 2009, 9:45 pm

Ordered and received A Rage Against Heaven by Fred Mustard Stewart, a book I've been wanting for a long time. Recommendations I've read about it say it's a better Civil War saga than GWTW. An intriguing claim. Anxious to see for myself.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

chuck
Bibliophile

Bin diving

Post by chuck » Mon July 13th, 2009, 9:57 pm

[quote=""Charliekat""]So I was killing time in the bookstore today and found my way into the bargin bin. There was a lot of the junk you usually find in there but was surprised to find "sharon kay penman" peeking out at me.

I bought Prince of Darkness for only $5 brand new![/quote]

I've been diving in the B&N bins for years....I have found some real gems....Keep Diving I say....

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon July 13th, 2009, 10:03 pm

[quote=""lindymc""]Ordered and received A Rage Against Heaven by Fred Mustard Stewart, a book I've been wanting for a long time. Recommendations I've read about it say it's a better Civil War saga than GWTW. An intriguing claim. Anxious to see for myself.[/quote]

Please check back when you get further. I'd been wanting to read this myself but a friend over at Goodreads had an interesting comment that's made me think again.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed July 15th, 2009, 2:26 am

NF: "Where Are They Buried (Revised and Updated): How Did They Die? Fitting Ends and Final Resting Places of the Famous, Infamous, and Noteworthy" by Tod Benoit.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Wed July 15th, 2009, 3:45 am

To celebrate my return to the commuting world, I visited the bookstore across the street from our office and bought myself The Wild Hunt, by Elizabeth Chadwick, and The Last Queen, by CW Gortner.
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed July 15th, 2009, 7:53 am

Today I picked up Annette Vallon $10 by James Tipton (hardcover, about French Revolution....at Myer of all places!), and Human Remains (a NF book about bone collecting and body snatching in Britain and Australia....$10 at Dymocks).

Myer must of had a bit of a Bastille Day theme happening as there were a couple of other French books (Lucy Moore's Liberty) in the discount bin today.

Return to “Archives”