Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2009 edition

Retired Threads
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu July 2nd, 2009, 9:44 pm

Here's a few more:

The Fighting Tudors - David Loades (non-fiction)
Richard III's "beloved cousin" John Howard and the House of York - John Ashdown Hill (non-fiction).
The Velvet Turnshoe - Cassandra Clark (mystery set in late 1300's)

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu July 2nd, 2009, 11:12 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]
Divia, do try either Margaret George's book or Reay Tannahill's on the Scottish Queen. The latter is less of a doorstop. Either are really v. good, IMO, and less interior monologue than featured in TOQ. I'm not a big Mary fan (I think she was a bit of an idiot, not worthy of the romantic heroine title) but both are good. And there is an excellent Antonia Fraser bio of her. Any of those will take the bad TOQ taste out of your mouth!!![/quote]

Oh, I agree. I loved Tannahill's book and Margaret George's is one of my favorites on Mary. Another MQS book that I loved is "Immortal Queen" by Elizabeth Byrd. It's out of print, unfortunately, but there must be used copies around. I have a jacketless hardcover I picked up for $2.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Thu July 2nd, 2009, 11:18 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]Oh, I agree. I loved Tannahill's book and Margaret George's is one of my favorites on Mary. Another MQS book that I loved is "Immortal Queen" by Elizabeth Byrd. It's out of print, unfortunately, but there must be used copies around. I have a jacketless hardcover I picked up for $2.[/quote]

Immortal Queen is a great book! I read it as a teenager, and loved it. Then a couple of years ago I saw it at a secondhand seller, and grabbed it....must get around to reading that again.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat July 4th, 2009, 1:07 am

Cover of "The Early Loves of Anne Boleyn"

Boring looking.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat July 4th, 2009, 1:15 am

I would agree. That book needs a little more something something.

I might read it though if it gets good reviews.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sun July 5th, 2009, 7:28 pm

If you have preordered The King's Mistress by Emma Campion (Candace Robb) through amazon you might want to rethink about it. It looks like the hardback isnt going to be published and the mass market paperback they offer wont be printed till 2010 while the trade paperback that do goes out this year cant be pre ordered. Am I making any sense? lol
At least bookdepository is taking preorders for the right paperback.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun July 5th, 2009, 10:45 pm

[quote=""emr""]If you have preordered The King's Mistress by Emma Campion (Candace Robb) through amazon you might want to rethink about it. It looks like the hardback isnt going to be published and the mass market paperback they offer wont be printed till 2010 while the trade paperback that do goes out this year cant be pre ordered. Am I making any sense? lol
At least bookdepository is taking preorders for the right paperback.[/quote]

Thanks, emr! I was wondering what happened to this one.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue July 7th, 2009, 3:04 pm

This just popped up on my Amazon rec's. Anyone heard anything about it?

Product Description
When it became certain that Edward VI was dying, the duke of Northumberland, who had been ruling England in his name, made a plan that would let him hold onto his power. He dared not let Mary come to the throne because she was fiercely Catholic and he had espoused the Protestant cause. He did not want Elizabeth to rule because he knew her imperious nature would never defer to him. But there was more than one puppet master at work: The evil elf-lord Vidal Dhu had no intention of losing the flood of power the misery of Mary’s reign would bring the Dark Court, and intervened so that Mary was proclaimed queen.

Urged by her Chancellor and the Imperial ambassador to order Elizabeth’s death, Mary chose a different to insure that Elizabeth would never reign. She must marry and bear a child to be the Catholic heir. Vidal Dhu, replete with power from the pain and terror of Mary’s burning of heretics, agreed with Mary. Vidal Dhu had very special plans for that child. And since Oberon and Titania had disappeared, there now was no one except the double pair of twins to stand between the mortals of England and the rule of Evil.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Laura
Reader

Post by Laura » Wed July 8th, 2009, 10:11 am

Misfit, according to Amazon review in their previous book, "it is useful, though not necessary, to have read This Scepter'd Isle beforehand".

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon July 13th, 2009, 11:31 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Cover of "The Early Loves of Anne Boleyn"

Boring looking.

SM[/quote]

OMG, how uninspiring is that cover!! Looks like they have deliberately gone in the opposite direction of the recent trend of sexing up the Tudors - or they simply had no budget...

Return to “Archives”