Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

July 2009: What are you Reading?

Retired Threads
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu July 2nd, 2009, 11:27 am

[quote=""Telynor""]Just finished Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Angel's Game. Feh. Has anyone esel waded through this one?[/quote]

I know CW has read it and I think someone else has too! I've bought it but not read it yet.

Ash, it is a loose prequel to The Shadow of the Wind.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Thu July 2nd, 2009, 11:44 am

Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens and some of my own stuff.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu July 2nd, 2009, 2:56 pm

[quote=""Ash""]IIRC its the sequel (or prequel) to Shadow of the Wind, a favorite book of mine. Im eager to hear what you think of it![/quote]

Here's the link to the review on Epinions, if you want all of the gory details.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Book_El_ ... 5932757636

I was just really unhappy with it by the end. While it did have its moments, overall, I think I could have spent my time enjoying something else.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu July 2nd, 2009, 3:28 pm

Have you read Shadow of the Wind, Telynor, and, if so, did you enjoy it? I have The Angel's Game on my TBR pile - I loved Shadow of the Wind so much.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Thu July 2nd, 2009, 11:50 pm

Just started Telex from Cuba by Rachel Kushner. So far it's jumping around, but I'm sticking with it.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri July 3rd, 2009, 12:04 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]Have you read Shadow of the Wind, Telynor, and, if so, did you enjoy it? I have The Angel's Game on my TBR pile - I loved Shadow of the Wind so much.[/quote]

I haven't. To be honest, I don't know if I would want to -- I had such a rough time with TAG. I will be interested to know what you think of TAG, however, maybe you'll see something that I missed.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Fri July 3rd, 2009, 12:07 am

I'm on page 60 of Susan Kay's Legacy. Liking it so far - expecting it to get way better when Elizabeth Tudor is sovereign!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri July 3rd, 2009, 4:13 am

I started The last Queen while I was at the doctors office today. Much to my dismay I couldnt get into it because of the screaming, spitting illmannered child. But from what I can remember of it, I enjoyed it. :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Fri July 3rd, 2009, 12:43 pm

I started the month out with the very funny, non-historical fiction Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich. Now I'm reading Suite Francaise.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri July 3rd, 2009, 2:11 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]I'm on page 60 of Susan Kay's Legacy. Liking it so far - expecting it to get way better when Elizabeth Tudor is sovereign![/quote]

Actually, that first part during her struggle to just stay alive was probably my favorite (esp because I didn't know much about that part of her history). But its all good!

Return to “Archives”