Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Sun June 28th, 2009, 12:47 am

Best thing today - BC highland games, hung out with some good friends, saw some dancers, listened to some pipe bands, and enjoyed watching the kilted world go by ....

and the foolish red-head put sunblock everywhere but her decolletage, which is now a deep and painful scarlet!
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun June 28th, 2009, 6:06 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Having been there recently, I can understand why!

After 9 months of unemployment and going through 95% of our savings (most of which was the equity we had in our house when we sold it last year) my husband finally got a job!!!! He starts on Monday. Today is one of the best days I have had in a long time since I was getting close to going into panic mode.[/quote]

That is wonderful news! I hope the job turns out very well.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri July 10th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Hi everyone. I've been on vacation for a week but back today and had a wonderful time.
I went with my Mum on a short cruise around the English Channel (from Dover to Belgium, northern France, Guernsey and back). Although it was a mini-cruise, it was a proper huge cruise liner -- my first time on a cruise and it was fantastic. I'm ashamed to think how much I've eaten (when it's all on tap, I'm afraid willpower goes out the window!) but it was all lovely and I did work some of it off in the gym! The weather was pretty crummy for the first half of the week (unfortunately after some glorious weeks in this part of the world, it turned a bit miserable for one week only) but it brightened up a bit the second half. The places we visited weren't too exciting but interesting enough including Utah Beach. I think some people didn't care where we were each day, just staying on the boat, which seemed a shame to me.
It was my first time also on holiday just me and Mum - but it worked out great.
Unfortunately, I didn't get much reading done at all - as there were so many things to do and see (and eat!).

And on the evening prior to the holiday, I went to see Take That at Wembley Stadium. I thought their previous show 18 months ago was amazing, but this one topped that. The most amazing live show ever; can't believe all the scenery and costumes and acrobatic performers of every type and the music was fab too, of course. A shame that they were tiny specks on the faraway stage (though there were good screens broadcasting more clearly) but with 80,000 people in the stadium the atmosphere was wonderful.

Back to reality on Monday.
I will have to try and catch up on all the threads at some point!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri July 10th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Sounds as though you had a blast Sweetpotatoboy! :D
My daughter in law was at that Take That Concert too - not spoken to her yet to find out what she thought, but I bet she loved it!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Sat July 11th, 2009, 1:19 am

Welcome back SweetPotatoBoy! It sounds like a very nice holiday and a great concert - what a great week off.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Mon July 13th, 2009, 6:52 am

This past Saturday we went to Bruges to visit the exibition about Charles the Bold. Great exhibition !
Here's a link to the website if you're interested

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon July 13th, 2009, 12:37 pm

I too have just returned from a short break!

Monday morning I was intending to go anywhere. I was having my shower when I suddenly thought "I should go to Perth" and so I did on Wednesday morning and only arrived back in the early hours of this morning!

The biggest focus of the trip was to spend time with my grandparents and other family members who I don't get to see very often, but we did get to do some fun stuff as well! I lived there until I was 10 so I was able to go back to some places that I went to during primary school excursions and things like that.

Oh, and I know it isn't Take That but on Tuesday night I took my ten year old to see the WWE Wrestlers when they performed here! He really loved it! It was a busy week.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Quick hi from Chicago

Post by princess garnet » Mon July 13th, 2009, 6:02 pm

Hey everyone! Just a quick hi *waves* from the American Library Assoc (ALA) Annual in Chicago.
I haven't any web access since I've been here but I've been having a blast! See you all when I get back home!

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Mon July 13th, 2009, 11:46 pm

To those on or recovering from holidays - glad you enjoyed it.

Tanzanite: A couple weeks into the hubby's new job, I hope it's working for him (and for you :D )

And I start my new job tomorrow, as a research assistant to the commercial appraisers. It was completely unlooked-for, but everyone involved in the decision is pleased I accepted, and my husband believes the job is tailored specifically to me. My boss called me on Friday to offer the new position, and to tell me they are looking into hiring someone to take over my specific area.

I keep telling myself that not only did they hand-pick me for it, but that there is a really good bookstore across the street. :D
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue July 14th, 2009, 3:22 am

Congrats on the new job Lauryn
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”