Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sun June 21st, 2009, 4:55 am

"Australia" DVD......2 stars, beautiful photography of Australia....weak story...had a few 3 star moments....overall disappointing......

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun June 21st, 2009, 7:53 pm

Mr & Mrs Smith - rubbish.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun June 21st, 2009, 8:13 pm

we had a change of heart when we got to the movie theater last night and rather then watch Star Trek we decided we needed a good romance/comedy so we saw The Proposal. I laughed so hard I cried at least three times. A must see! Sandra Bullock does this little tribal dance that turns into a hilarious scene, it's just to funny for words. It's right up there on my favorites like Sweet Home Alabama.

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Sun June 21st, 2009, 8:36 pm

[quote=""Ken""]Watched a great old (1969) classic of British cinema last night - 'Goodbye Mr, Chips'! Starring Peter O'Toole and Petula Clarke.

It tells the story of a crusty old latin teacher at Brookfield school, falling in love and marrying a music hall singer (Katherine Bridges) and introducing her to the stuffy old school where her background deprives 'chips' (Arthur Chipping) of his ambition of being named headmaster.

In 1945, Katherine is killed by a German V-1 flying bomb while entertaining the troops at a local base. Deprived of his wife to share in his happiness, Chips finally achieves his dream of becoming headmaster and lives out his days at the school, beloved of his students and comforted by his happy memories,

I defy anyone not to have tears in their eyes when Mr. Chips hears the news of the death of Mrs. Chips and during his retirement speech to the school assembly!![/quote]

I watched the Martin Clunes version recently, and it is good. The O'Toole one has obviously changed the period it's set in, as it deals with WW1 not 2. I love the original the most with Robert Donat, but Clunes does a decent job, as does the actress who plays his wife, I think it's Victoria Hamilton(?). Very moving.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun June 21st, 2009, 8:55 pm

Watched Equilibrium last night. Sort of a cross between 1984, Matrix, and Bruce Lee. Actually its better than that, but it certainly had the darkness and despair of 1984 throughout the movie. Was surprised it got so many bad reviews. Thought Peale and Sean Bean were quite good.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun June 21st, 2009, 9:24 pm

Saw Star Trek and enjoyed it. A lot of little nods to the first series.

But---As a former Petty Officer (third Class) I really had a hard time swallowing the part where all these cadets are the best you can get to run this ship. Including putting Kirk in charge, or accepting him in starfleet (given his attitude) in the first place.

I think nobody writing in Hollywood (or wherever they get them nowadays) has any military experience whatever. Good thing most of the audience is equally ignorant.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon June 22nd, 2009, 10:20 am

Angels and Demons.

Rip-roaring nonsense. Set brain to neutral and enjoy. :D

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon June 22nd, 2009, 12:23 pm

The Secret Life of Bees - a nice chick flick while DH was away last week.

The Reader - interesting story. Kate Winslet is a great actress.

chuck
Bibliophile

Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Post by chuck » Mon June 22nd, 2009, 6:25 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Mr & Mrs Smith - rubbish.[/quote]

EC...Aptly stated...."Much to do(hype) about nothing"...same goes for the infamous Affleck/J Lo film "Gigli"

chuck
Bibliophile

A & d

Post by chuck » Mon June 22nd, 2009, 6:34 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]Angels and Demons.

Rip-roaring nonsense. Set brain to neutral and enjoy. :D [/quote]

I did the same while watching "The Da Vinci Code".....Tom Hanks is miscast....Liam Neeson, Clive Owens, Kenneth Branaugh etc would be more believable....but both scripts are a stretch anyway.......

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”