Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Thu June 18th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Raining here too! This type of wet, humid weather is the worst for migraines -knock on wood - I've yet to have one this spring, but I feel for those of you who are suffering.

Take care all,
Andrea

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Thu June 18th, 2009, 10:25 pm

Worst day for me in awhile! Bad day at work only to come home to have my sitter tell me that my son broke his Ipod Touch (approx $450) that I have to replace. :mad:

Teacher sent home note that son's behaviour needs to be discussed so I need to cancel an appointment tomorrow to deal with said bad child. The same child took off and refused to go in to the school at the beginning of the day. At the end of the day, he hid from teacher, sitter and everyone else and it took 45 minutes to find him. Son is now grounded and not very happy but I want him to learn that there are consequences for his actions.

I will be so glad when the weekend is here!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu June 18th, 2009, 10:34 pm

How old is he Zsigandr?
Hope you can get it all sorted out.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Thu June 18th, 2009, 11:29 pm

Hi EC,

He is only 6, going on 7! Unfortunately, he seems to be having a really, really rough week. He is very determined to do his own thing, regardless of consequences. His father works out of town and doesn't live with us during the week, which I do believe is part of the reason he is pushing his boundaries.

This morning he told me he was old enough to make his own decisions and he was going to walk to school on his own. I guess that should have been a sign of what was to come!

I'm sure it will all work out in the end - just a costly lesson for me in the process!

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Fri June 19th, 2009, 2:34 pm

I was exactly like that at the same age. In fact, my dad was away with work for long periods of time as well and that's was mainly why I was such a pain then. But I turned out okay in the end. :p

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Fri June 19th, 2009, 4:25 pm

Thanks Alaric that is good to know!

We have had a conversation with his teacher and she is concerned that he is really sad lately and if he thinks he is going to get into trouble, he has been hiding and running away. The teacher also told me a different version than my sitter, that my son was just outside the classroom with her and the Vice principal so they knew where he was, he was just upset and needed time to recover. At least that is not as bad as I first thought.

On another good note, the sitter's Ipod is covered by the warranty still so it looks like I won't have to cover that cost.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri June 19th, 2009, 4:29 pm

[quote=""Alaric""]I had a blood test today, really don't like needles. :( [/quote]

You have my sympathy, I had to have one today :( luckily it was fairly painless, hope yours is OK.

Had a dead dove in the back garden this afternoon; managed to manoeuvre it into a shoebox and left it down the end of the garden hoping that a local fox will have it for its supper - not sure how it died as there wasn't a mark on it apart from a few feathers pulled out; if it's still there tomorrow morning will have to dispose of it somehow as we're dog-sitting and don't want him dragging it out :eek:
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Sheramy
Reader

Post by Sheramy » Fri June 19th, 2009, 8:17 pm

I learned this afternoon I have a colony of 15-20 [Mexican free-tailed] bats living in the attic of my apartment building, above my bathroom. Animal cruelty laws prevent animal control from performing an 'exclusion' (sealing up the roost while the bats are gone at night) until mid-late August, because of the babies there who cannot fly yet. While I support humane handling of these animals and would not want the babies to die of starvation because of me, I have to hear them squeaking behind the mirror and above the shower for the next two months. One got in my apt last week through a crevice behind the washer hook-up (hence I learned they were there), but it is now sealed and they can't get in.

BUT I HEAR THEM...chirp squeak flutter...

Evidently millions of these bats live in Florida. I learned a lot today from the nice man who came to visit their home and report back.
Sunflowers: A Novel of Vincent van Gogh, forthcoming from Avon-A, 13 October 2009
My blog: http://vangoghschair.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.sheramybundrick.com
For it is truly the discovery of a new hemisphere in a person's life when he falls seriously in love. -Vincent van Gogh

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri June 19th, 2009, 9:02 pm

[quote=""Sheramy""]BUT I HEAR THEM...chirp squeak flutter...

Evidently millions of these bats live in Florida. I learned a lot today from the nice man who came to visit their home and report back.[/quote]

Aiyee! I'd be going nuts with just the noise let alone the thought of those creepy things back there. Anything PETA can do to help? :rolleyes: ;) :confused:
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri June 19th, 2009, 10:35 pm

My laptop computer has swallowed my ENTIRE file of book interview notes. Every single interview I have carefully transcribed has evaporated.

A handful are backed up on my USB key but not all. I can't work on my desktop (which has an auto backup system) becuz it's broken & the fan whirs loudly before shutting it down. Can't afford to get it fixed until I get part of of the advance.

The icing on the (expletives deleted) cake? I checked with Barron's to be sure that my payment for a recent feature story was going through smoothly. I had expected to see the check in the next day or two. Accounts payable has no record of the payment, which means the process HAS NOT EVEN STARTED.

Now, my rent is due in 10 days...

*whimper whimper*

Return to “Chat”