Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sun June 14th, 2009, 3:28 pm

DVD movie...."Valkyrie".....Passable.....The story seemly came across as a new idea to assassinate Hitler ..Wish they would have provided more background on the Staff Officers who knew of Hitler's lunacy, incompetence and started plotting to assassinate him early on.....Cruise wasn't all that bad, very good supporting cast....but I can't past his personal, public antics and Scientology arrogance......

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun June 14th, 2009, 6:33 pm

What they did was make it possible for the new cast to do things differently then the original cast, without saying to much about the movie.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon June 15th, 2009, 3:52 am

"The Affair of the Necklace", after reading Francis Mossiker's book "The Queen's Necklace", I now know how much of the history in this movie is so wrong.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon June 15th, 2009, 4:14 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]"The Affair of the Necklace", after reading Francis Mossiker's book "The Queen's Necklace", I now know how much of the history in this movie is so wrong.

SM[/quote]

Dreadful film, isn't it? That meeting between La Motte and the Cardinal de Rohan was a bit over the top, I thought, and rather vulgar.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon June 15th, 2009, 4:26 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]"The Affair of the Necklace", after reading Francis Mossiker's book "The Queen's Necklace", I now know how much of the history in this movie is so wrong.

SM[/quote]

I've tried to watch this movie a few times, and I have a real problem with the sound in this movie! I can only watch movies when the boys are asleep, and often in this movie I find I am turning the volume up to hear what they are saying, and then having to turn it down before there is another noise or music that is too loud! Very annoying.....but Adrien Brody is always nice to look at.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon June 15th, 2009, 4:35 am

Amanda: which is why I love my Closed Captioning, my hearing isn't the greatest and I can read when I'm having a hard time understanding the dialouge.

Adrien is usually nice to look at, though recently he was sporting a lot of facial hair that did nothing for his looks. Hot Aussie Simon Baker was in it too, but I prefer him with his usual blonde hair.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Mon June 15th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Hubby & I watched Defiance over the weekend. I have to say, that movie really struck me, with the desperation of the times. The violence was harsh, but sadly, never out of context or gratuitous. Or at least, not more gratuitous than it must have been at the time (IMHO, war IS gratuitous violence). Hubby didn't argue much with the military history, so either he didn't know that story very well, or they did a decent job of it.

It made me think again about all the bitching and moaning modern society does in our day to day lives, surrounded by abundance. We are not living hand-to-mouth in the forest, learning the hard way to be guerrilla fighters in order to survive. We are not being hunted down for extermination, either. It put the challenges in my life into perspective, and I think (maybe) I'm grateful for that.

I know I'm grateful for indoor plumbing, though! :D
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat June 20th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Watched The Reader today on DVD. Very involved, very depressing, and disturbing. But it's very well done. Not for the sensitive at all.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sat June 20th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Recently watched "Kill Shot" Mickey Rourke, Diane Lane, Joseph-Gordon-Levitt, and Thomas Jane.....M R plays a New Age Sensitive Hit Man" (also Native American)and J-G-L plays a psychopath.....D L and T J are on the run......actually enjoyed this flick... acting was above average....plot was predictable but had it's twists....The soft spoken Mickey Rourke is back......It moves right along....

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun June 21st, 2009, 4:09 am

"The Trouble With Harry"

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”