Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best thing Today...I finally converted him!

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
nona
Bibliophile

Best thing Today...I finally converted him!

Post by nona » Sat September 6th, 2008, 8:33 pm

I never once saw my husband with a book in hand in the five years we've been together unless he was getting it for me, he's always indulged me when it came to my books. When he showed up to pick my up on our first date he gave to me not roses or frilly stuff but two very beautiful books on shakspeare and old love poems. today while talking he asked if I had any good HF books without the bodice ripper theme that a man could read, you have no idea how excited I was, so I went through the titles and decided to give him the choice between The Greatest Knight by E. Chadwick and Here Be Dragons by SK Penman, only cause I think he would relate the William and Llwellyn. So we'll see....

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:01 pm

Can I recommend Master of Verona by David Blixt. Such a great book that I think that a man would like to read.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Kailana
Reader

Post by Kailana » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Yeah, I never date readers. The guy I am kind of seeing now asked me to order him a book online yesterday, though, that was pretty amazing! So, you know I had to order it... and a couple more to get free shipping... It was his fault, really...

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:22 pm

It blew my mind, he'll buy every book I long for but then gripes when it's 12 am and my reading light is on so I never would have guessed in a million years that he'ld be interested in something like hf, maybe hot rods and motorcycles but not HF.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat September 6th, 2008, 11:24 pm

Nice! Always cool to see men reading. I wonder if he would enjoy some NF too?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat September 6th, 2008, 11:43 pm

When I first met him, my husband read mainly technothrillers (Tom Clancy etc), but he agreed to try some historical novels I suggested. Now he'll read every Jeff Shaara and Alan Furst novel as they appear. No way could I get him to try anything medieval, though. If it's not set in the 20th century or a war novel, forget it.

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:01 am

Yeah my man is not a novel reader. Unless it's related to business. He mainly likes to read mopar magazines as he is currently restoring a '69 Dodge Charger. But, that is OK, it is not a big thing if we don't share the same interrests. He always asks me who I am fantasizing about now, King Henry the VIII? Ha, ha, I think that is the only historical figure he knows!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:20 am

My husband was not much of a novel reader either, until he picked up Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park and it scared him out of his wits. Alas, neither of us particularly cared for Timeline. He's the only reason I read thrillers - he leaves them lying around the house, and if I get desperate for something to read and there's nothing else in the house, I pick them up. What's a sure-fire historical for people who love Tom Clancy novels and Jurassic Park? He tried Dietrich's Napoleon's Pyramids and didn't like it.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:24 am

How great, Nona! That will never happen with my man. He's just not a reader and never will be! Sigh!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun September 7th, 2008, 2:37 pm

we we blend really well to begin with. He's into hot rods and motorcycles and I take part in that with him, because of him I fell in love with older muscle cars and bought my camaro, because of me he knows more about farming/ranching and horses and history then he would care to admitt. so I am lucky that we both take part in the others interest.

Return to “General Discussion”