Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon June 8th, 2009, 9:24 pm

Sounds as if you will be better off in a different job Nona if that's your boss's attitude. Sheesh!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon June 8th, 2009, 9:27 pm

You go, Nona. Sounds like the combination of a job that you can do well but don't enjoy, and a boss who doesn't understand how to motivate/deal with her employees is a toxic mess. And I know people who are finding jobs, even in this economy. Even in journalism, where papers and magazines are closing every week, good people are finding jobs. Doing that job shows that you are organized, motivated and able to develop a good rapport with people (otherwise, how could you persuade them to give you anything?) which means you've got very valuable skills. Hang tough...

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Mon June 8th, 2009, 9:43 pm

The worst thing for me today was finding out that my novel has been postponed indefinitely.

I think many small independent publishers are struggling to keep afloat at the moment and many good books will probably remain unpublished.

For a while there I thought I was going to be a published novelist. :mad:
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Mon June 8th, 2009, 9:48 pm

Oh Libby, I am very sorry to hear that! I am keeping my fingers crossed for that you will be published after all.

Nona - your boss sounds like a terrible for person to work for. Your boss obviously does not appreciate your hard work and efforts. Perhaps you should follow your gut instinct and start a new career path.

Best wishes to you both,
Andrea

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon June 8th, 2009, 9:58 pm

[quote=""Libby""]The worst thing for me today was finding out that my novel has been postponed indefinitely.

I think many small independent publishers are struggling to keep afloat at the moment and many good books will probably remain unpublished.

For a while there I thought I was going to be a published novelist. :mad: [/quote]

Oh Libby, I am sorry to hear that. What a disappointment. :(
Do you have some sort of contract they have to honour? Are there any other routes? I know it's a knockdown and a shock, but don't stop believing in yourself.
Hugs.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Mon June 8th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Thanks. Today I'm trawling the internet for sympathy. Tomorrow I'll take stock of what to do next.

The publisher says that they are still committed to publishing at some future unspecified date provided they stay in business, but will agree to cancel the contract if I want to. I'm not going to take it from them just yet, but I have withdrawn the offer of a second book.

I think I'm going to offer the second one to other publishers and see if I get any interest.

The annoying thing is that I have lots of pre-orders for The de Lacy Inheritance. It's surprisingly high up the Amazon sales list for an unpublished first novel and I feel really bad about letting people down.

Anyway, thanks for letting me have a moan. And hugs to anyone else who's having a bad day.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue June 9th, 2009, 12:01 am

[quote=""Libby""]The worst thing for me today was finding out that my novel has been postponed indefinitely.

For a while there I thought I was going to be a published novelist. :mad: [/quote]

Libby, there is a publisher out there who loved your book and wanted to publish it. That it's not going out now is a nasty blow, but it's not because they read the MS and said 'yuck, this is garbage'.

You're absolutely right about the state of the industry, but you believe in your book, they believe in your book and I have no doubt that you will end up as a published novelist. None. As in, zero.

When you get past the blow, then you start thinking about what you do next. Maybe they can steer you toward a new publisher, or your agent (if you're working with one) can help you with that.

I know it's slim comfort, but you've already come far further in your quest than 99.99% of others ever will do. You have produced an idea, created your characters. You've written a book. You've sold it. Wow!!! You've got most of the hard work behind you. The recession will end; in one form or another, books will be published. Yours will be among them. Fact.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue June 9th, 2009, 3:47 am

It's now winter and the dreaded lurgie has hit our house. The worst thing is that I can't get into the doctors until tomorrow and that means another day off school for my son, and another day off work for me because I currently can't do any work from home because of my internet issues.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue June 9th, 2009, 6:50 am

Sorry to hear about your news, Libby - fingers crossed that your publishers will publish it very soon. Stay positive!

Hope the lurgie only makes a flying visit to your house, Marg, and that all it's victims are feeling better soon!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue June 9th, 2009, 12:41 pm

Spent most of last night at the emergency room with an aged parent. The evening was enlivened by a drunk a few doors down shouting, "I want to go home!" about every twenty minutes or so.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “Chat”