Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Mists of Avalon Series

Divia
Bibliomaniac

The Mists of Avalon Series

Post by Divia » Thu August 28th, 2008, 3:11 am

Here is the series in order.
  • Fall of Atlantis (1983)
  • Ancestors of Avalon (2004) (written principally by Diana L. Paxson)
  • Ravens of Avalon (2007) (written by Diana L. Paxson)
  • The Forest House (1993) (with Diana L. Paxson)
  • Priestess of Avalon (2000) (with Diana L Paxson)
  • Lady of Avalon (1997) (with Diana L Paxson)
  • The Mists of Avalon (1979)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Kailana
Reader

Post by Kailana » Thu August 28th, 2008, 4:14 am

I was just thinking tonight that I need to read the rest of this series! Your a mind reader, Divia.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu August 28th, 2008, 4:21 am

I"m glad I could help. I was trying to remember some of the threads over on HF.org. so that I could add them here. The most trouble is the bloody Country ones. :(
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat September 6th, 2008, 8:53 pm

I've thought about reading Mists or Avalon but I've only read so many different stories and seen so many movies of the Arthurian tales that I'm wary of reading it because I might lose interest or is it good enough that I won't feel I'm reading just another tale of the round table and Arthur?

I've seen two or three of the books from the series at amazon but where would you find the others?

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:02 pm

[quote=""nona""]I've thought about reading Mists or Avalon but I've only read so many different stories and seen so many movies of the Arthurian tales that I'm wary of reading it because I might lose interest or is it good enough that I won't feel I'm reading just another tale of the round table and Arthur?

I've seen two or three of the books from the series at amazon but where would you find the others?[/quote]

All the books should be available at amazon. Marion Zimmer Bradley died in 1999 and a few books were co-authored with Diana Paxson and the later books have been written by Paxson alone. You may have to look under Paxson's name. Only The Mists of Avalon is directly about the Arthurian legends. The other books occur before The Mists of Avalon.

This Wikipedia article lists the books in the order they were written and in chronological order: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_Series
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:14 pm

I read this book when it first came out, and reread it again many times over the years. I just loved the different take on the Arthur story, as well as a glimpse at early Christianity (and it certainly got me interested in that topic.)
I read one of the prequels, which I thought was good, but unfortunately don't remember which (either the first or second). Haven't tried the others. Shes an excellent writer, and brings you right into the story. She has some interesting theories, some of which are very farfetched, but as this is FICTION, this shouldn't be a problem (and BTW I really wouldn't call this HF, except that many Arthur books are, and so I guess you could stretch things a bit :)

Whatever you do, do NOT watch the horrible, and I mean horrible adaptation of Mists of Avalon that came out a few years ago. They take the most explicit parts of the book, and make them the story. And they didn't even do those parts well...

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:25 pm

lol, I saw it when it first came out. I give the book a go and order it in the near future and let you know what I think.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sat September 6th, 2008, 10:27 pm

I've read The Mists of Avalon twice and it's one of my favourite reads ever (though I haven't read it in about 20 years). I did read The Forest House a bit later on and thought it was OK, but not more. I've thought about reading the other books and I may do one day.

I'm wondering if I should read them in the order they were written or in the order of the events in them. Any thoughts?

PS. In that Wikipedia article, it states that The Forest House was written with Diana Paxson. That wasn't my recollection. Anyway, I had a close look at my copy and, although Paxson doesn't get a credit for authorship, there is a dedication to her that implies she played a hand in the plotting, if not in the actual writing.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sun September 7th, 2008, 12:26 am

I ordered the Priestess of Avalon off a book swap site. I'll wait a bit to read it since I recently read Mists and wasn't thrilled with it.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri October 3rd, 2008, 3:18 pm

I got Mists of Avalon the other day, I'm waiting to read it tough, I have some others that are on loan so must finish first.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”