Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sun May 31st, 2009, 5:12 pm

Saw NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. Plenty of violence, rather slow between, deus ex machina (with a machine) ending -- watching Bardem was the only worthwhile part of it. Did not care about the characters. Glad I saw it for free on TV.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

chuck
Bibliophile

book is better than the film

Post by chuck » Sun May 31st, 2009, 5:25 pm

[quote=""donroc""]Saw NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. Plenty of violence, rather slow between, deus ex machina (with a machine) ending -- watching Bardem was the only worthwhile part of it. Did not care about the characters. Glad I saw it for free on TV.[/quote]

I'm glad I read "NCFOM" before seeing the film....I would recommend reading Cormac McCarthy before seeing any of them that are made into films... not vice versa....Next film coming out is based on one of his novels called "The Road"...not sure when it will be released.....He is definitely from the "Dark Side"

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu June 4th, 2009, 7:18 pm

He's Just Not That Into You is pretty good.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Thu June 4th, 2009, 10:01 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]He's Just Not That Into You is pretty good.[/quote]

we watched it last night, absolutely loved it! and some of it was true, to me anyways.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu June 4th, 2009, 10:03 pm

Watched an adaptation of Sarah Waters' Affinity. Chilling and very effective.

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Sat June 6th, 2009, 8:55 pm

Watched a great old (1969) classic of British cinema last night - 'Goodbye Mr, Chips'! Starring Peter O'Toole and Petula Clarke.

It tells the story of a crusty old latin teacher at Brookfield school, falling in love and marrying a music hall singer (Katherine Bridges) and introducing her to the stuffy old school where her background deprives 'chips' (Arthur Chipping) of his ambition of being named headmaster.

In 1945, Katherine is killed by a German V-1 flying bomb while entertaining the troops at a local base. Deprived of his wife to share in his happiness, Chips finally achieves his dream of becoming headmaster and lives out his days at the school, beloved of his students and comforted by his happy memories,

I defy anyone not to have tears in their eyes when Mr. Chips hears the news of the death of Mrs. Chips and during his retirement speech to the school assembly!!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat June 6th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Ken, I have the TV remake of that on order with Lovefilm, starring Martin Clunes - 2002. I'm looking forward to watching it.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sat June 6th, 2009, 9:34 pm

Ah, I loved Goodbye, Mr. Chips! Haven't watched it in forever though - or ever read the book.

I want to see Drag Me to Hell yesterday - one the funniest horror films I've ever seen! Laughed out loud many times.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat June 6th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Watched Name of the Rose with Sean Connery last night. Enjoyed it very much.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat June 6th, 2009, 10:31 pm

I saw Mr Chips decades ago and loved it. I also loved To Sir With Love, wonder how that one has aged over time.

Saw Star Trek again, even better the second time!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”