Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 12:25 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I've been kind of off most of the day, but I have to say it started when my husband said "We don't need any more books."[/quote]

Oh, LoveHistory, that has got to be one of the worst starts to a day ever! I don't think that I would cope very well with that either. :(

I have started to hide some of my treasures, which is probably not a good thing and I don't think my husband would mind the occasional purchase, but I think that if he knew exactly how many books I had hidden in the closet - I would be hearing those dreaded words too!
Andrea

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 7:02 pm

I now have a very sick stray cat living in my bathroom. This is "Brando", the guy with the loud raspy meow, who I mentioned previously. I thought my neighbor had been caring for him, then found him on Monday morning outside and nearly unable to walk; emaciated & dehydrated. He had staggered up to my screen door in the garden and slumped down against it.

Yesterday, I took him to the vet. It's really unclear what's going on. He has an enlarged bladder, which could be temporary or could be a sign of something major (a blockage, which could kill him -- probably would, since I can't afford surgery.) Figuring out what is going on with him would cost several hundred $ in tests, treating it would cost still more. Which I don't have. So for now, I've got a sick cat in my bathroom, and am giving him food & antibiotics and trying to get him to drink & to pee. (he likes a bit of cream but is largely shunning the water; they gave him IV fluids at the vet's). Today he seems a bit more mobile, and he likes his food. But he's not peeing, which the vet had said was crucial. But I can't tell if it's because he's not used to the idea of a litterbox (or even the bathroom floor!) or if it's organic.

I hope he gets better -- but then I will still have to find him a home of his own. He can't stay here, he can't live in my smallish bathroom forever (my cats loathe him) and shelters are flooded with animals all over the city.

So I'm feeling at the end of my tether.

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Thu June 4th, 2009, 4:39 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]I hope he gets better -- but then I will still have to find him a home of his own. He can't stay here, he can't live in my smallish bathroom forever (my cats loathe him) and shelters are flooded with animals all over the city.

So I'm feeling at the end of my tether.[/quote]

Oh, Chatterbox, I have no good advice for you, but a big hug. It hurts to have your heart go out to a creature you can do precious little to help.
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Thu June 4th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Oh no :[ I am so sorry Chatterbox. There is nothing worse than seeing a little creature in pain.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Thu June 4th, 2009, 6:31 pm

He is doing a bit better today, but is still in a lot of discomfort and generally unhappy... :( If only I could speak "feline", I could tell him not to worry and just get better. Good thing I never decided to become a vet; I'd have to deal with this all the time!

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Thu June 4th, 2009, 7:55 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I've been kind of off most of the day, but I have to say it started when my husband said "We don't need any more books."[/quote]

Ack, has he lost his mind? Clearly he needs instruction in the obsessive-compulsive needs of a book addict. :eek:

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu June 4th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Is there no-one near you who wants a cat, Chatterbox? I can remember coming home from holiday and finding a stray cat in our house - we'd forgotten to lock the catflap coming in - it was locked going out! Therefore, the stray cat had used our plants as toilets!!!!!!!!!!! Loveleeeeeeeee! Being the softies we are, we continued to feed and look after the cat. Eventually we did find him a home in a local garden nursery.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Thu June 4th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Vanessa, no -- my neighbor had committed to do it, but then kept him out of the house all winter, which is why he's in bad shape now. I need to get him into a no-kill shelter/adoption agency, but they have all turned me down so far. Apparently they only rescue cats found by their own active volunteers.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Thu June 4th, 2009, 11:48 pm

I am sorry to hear about the sick little guy, Chatterbox. I have taken in a few sick kitties myself, and unfortunately, there never seem to be enough good homes for the number of cats out there!

If I lived closer, I would take him for you, it breaks my heart to see any living creature suffer. I nursed 2 young cats last year through wind shield washer poisoning and it was not easy. Apparently a neighbour doesn't like my taking in cats, but that has not stopped me yet. I have since added a 3rd unwanted kitty to my ranks.

I hope he hangs in there - you're a good person for trying to help him,
Andrea

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri June 5th, 2009, 10:28 am

Still no new mobile phone and still no internet connection at home! And to top it off, I think my TV is about to die as well. I am not sure which technology god I offended but it was one of them!

Back sometime next week I hope - unless I visit someone who is happy for me to use their computer for a brief time like I am now!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”