Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon June 1st, 2009, 9:44 pm

Bought Good King Harry by Denise Giardina (Henry V).
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 5:40 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I was checking my Wish List at Amazon and amazingly enough "Versailles: A Biography of a Palace" by Tony Spawforth was for sale for $6.99, so I snapped it up, I hope the seller comes through, I'll let you know if I actually get it.

SM[/quote]

Well it was too good to be true, someone had already snatched it up before I ordered it and I'm getting a refund. I had a feeling that might happen, oh well. Another time then.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 6:14 pm

Hit the jackpot today from paperback swap:
Master of Verona
The King's Grace
Within the Hollow Crown
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 10:56 pm

Found a lovely signed copy of Lillian Gish's memoir Movies, Mr Griffith, and Me. Shes one of my favorite silent movie actresses, its a lovely book, and my DH decided that it would be perfect for an anniversary gift. Who needs jewels? (well written too, which is alwys a treat of course)

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 10:37 am

In the last couple of days I have received the books I ordered when Book Depository had their discount on - The Tory Widow by Christine Blevins, Twilight of Avalon by Anna Elliott and Blue Diablo by Ann Aguirre. I also received Crossed Wires by Rosy Thornton as well.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 10:39 am

[quote=""Lauryn""]I received a stack of books while working on my course stuff, and have now come up for air to read them. :D

The Winter Mantle - Elizabeth Chadwick
The Loch - Steve Alten
The Conqueror - Georgette Heyer

... and a couple of Shannon McKenna titles I blush to divulge :p [/quote]

I've quite enjoyed the Shannon McKenna books I have read!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 10:50 am

Went to the book fair and came back with El Diamante de la Reina (The Queen's Diamond) about Isabel de Valois (Felipe II`s 4th wife) and La Casa de los Siete Pecados (The House of the Seven Sins) about Felipe II and his mistress, both by Mari Pau Dominguez.
Now when am I going to get to read these? lol *...adds them to the already unstable tbr pile...*

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 11:33 am

[quote=""emr""]Went to the book fair and came back with El Diamante de la Reina (The Queen's Diamond) about Isabel de Valois (Felipe II`s 4th wife) and La Casa de los Siete Pecados (The House of the Seven Sins) about Felipe II and his mistress, both by Mari Pau Dominguez.
Now when am I going to get to read these? lol *...adds them to the already unstable tbr pile...*[/quote]

Both sound interesting. And beyond my linguistic reach most doubt (shut up CW! :rolleyes :) . Still I have heard good things about this author.

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 11:40 am

[quote=""Alaric""]Yesterday I ordered from the bookdepository:

"Edward I: A Great and Terrible King," by Marc Morris (NF)
"Winterbirth," by Brian Ruckley[/quote]

Received these today, and bought the ones below yesterday. :)

[quote=""Alaric""]"A Storm of Swords, part 1: Steel and Snow," by George R.R. Martin
"A Storm of Swords, part 2: Blood and Gold," by George R.R. Martin[/quote]

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed June 3rd, 2009, 7:33 pm

Today I got the latest Agatha Raisin detective story, and Madonna of the Almonds, plus various internet orders arrived in the post.

Return to “Archives”