Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri May 22nd, 2009, 9:08 pm

Divia, take a deep breath... The competition could be different for this job than the other one, making the decision harder to make. Also, it's a holiday weekend, with people leaving early, etc. I know it's incredibly hard to not worry about this, but the person who will suffer most is you as you drive yourself nuts. Worrying and feeling like you're being messed around with isn't going to make the answer come any faster; wait to hear what it is and then figure out how you deal with it. Hope for the best & plan for the worst. If you feel you've not been treated fairly, then when you are sure that is the case, you can think about what to do next. I know it sounds v. easy to say when you're not involved, but like lots of us, I've been in your shoes. Guess I'm advocating grace under pressure, because it's something I wish had better demonstrated myself! Hang in there...

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri May 22nd, 2009, 9:09 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I'm being dicked around with that job I interviewed for. [/quote]

That's a shame. But my own experience is that prospective employers and agencies frequently treat candidates extremely unprofessionally. I've been "dicked around" as you call it more times than I care to think - and I've grown used to it (sort of). But, sometimes, it gives you an indication of the sort of organisation you'd be going into...

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri May 22nd, 2009, 9:11 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]Sweetpotato, maybe you can tell the person that you have to read for your job (the one you're going to, or a mysterious second job which requires research). Then it's not your fault you can't talk. And if you're a writer or a reviewer, then this has the added bonus of being entirely true.[/quote]

Hmm, nice idea but unfortunately the person in question works at the same company as me (and lives round the corner from me, so our commutes frequently coincide), so he knows exactly what I do!!!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri May 22nd, 2009, 9:58 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Divia, take a deep breath... The competition could be different for this job than the other one, making the decision harder to make. Also, it's a holiday weekend, with people leaving early, etc. I know it's incredibly hard to not worry about this, but the person who will suffer most is you as you drive yourself nuts. Worrying and feeling like you're being messed around with isn't going to make the answer come any faster; wait to hear what it is and then figure out how you deal with it. Hope for the best & plan for the worst. If you feel you've not been treated fairly, then when you are sure that is the case, you can think about what to do next. I know it sounds v. easy to say when you're not involved, but like lots of us, I've been in your shoes. Guess I'm advocating grace under pressure, because it's something I wish had better demonstrated myself! Hang in there...[/quote]

Actually the competition is the same. Its me. I'm the only person who applied for the job.

Its frustrating because the only thing I every wanted int life was to be a high school librarian, live in my old crappy house. I aint askin for the moon, but I guess I am.

I'm bitter right now. Its not very appealing, but it is what it is.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Sat May 23rd, 2009, 12:18 am

Bugger, sorry, I misread/misunderstood the OP. :( :o Thought this was another job. :(
That's downright offensive and unprofessional of them. Tell yourself "i do not want to work for people who can behave this way". Ok, it's a bit Pollyannaish, but if it gets you over the hump...
Bitter may not be charming, but it is normal.
And sometimes it is when things look the most bleak that the groundwork is laid for something better. I figure that since I'm in my late 40s, I can now say that openly (though it's long been my experience.)
This did happen to me once -- I heard via a third party that a job I desperately wanted went to someone less qualified (I was a seasoned reporter; she had been a summer intern at the same paper.) I made the mistake of replying, when I was told formally, "Yes, I had heard that it had gone to X, but thank you for letting me know." I then became publicly known as the bitter/sarcastic one (well, I was in my 20s).
Maybe this person will quit, maybe there will be a different opening somewhere else... Hang in there.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat May 23rd, 2009, 3:13 am

Thanks. :) I am trying. To make myself feel better I have burned a black candle to expel the negative energy around me. Will it work? Who knows, but for the moment I feel better.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat May 23rd, 2009, 8:30 pm

I made my yearly visit to the Emergency Room this morning. I am the lucky host of not one virus, but two. Aside from a little dehydration, and a vicious cycle of vomiting, my biggest problem was that I panicked. Hyperventilation isn't good for you. Go figure.

So now I'm supposed to rest (ha ha ha) and drink lots of fluids, and stay on a restricted diet for a few days. My sister is coming from Kansas with her family and she may decide not to come see us for several days. I understand completely. Wouldn't want my darling nieces and nephew to get sick. It's just disappointing. I don't know how long they are staying.

Did I mention it's a three day weekend for the kids?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat May 23rd, 2009, 11:33 pm

Hope you feel better soon LoveHistory!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun May 24th, 2009, 6:14 am

Finding out from King5 news that herion use is on the rise on the island, esp among high schoolers. There was a girl from Harm's 4th period being interviewed on the news. I went to the same school, but I got away from there for my senior year, which I completed at Tacoma Community College (they had a HS program).

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun May 24th, 2009, 6:03 pm

I've had a bad sore throat since yesterday afternoon. It hurts to swallow and talk. Harm, the sweetie, made me some tea with lemon and honey. Hope it helps!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Chat”