Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Andrea's 2009 Reading Log

What have you read in 2009? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
zsigandr
Avid Reader

Andrea's 2009 Reading Log

Post by zsigandr » Sat May 2nd, 2009, 7:47 pm

April 2009:

1. The King's Grace by Anne Easter Smith (4/5)
2. The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner (4.5/5)
3. The Marsh King's Daughter by Elizabeth Chadwick (4.5/5)
4. The Seventh Son by Reay Tannahill (4/5)
5. Katherine by Anya Seton (4.5/5)

Currently working on Azincourt by Bernard Cornwell and The Traitor's Wife by Susan Higginbotham. I also picked up The First Princess of Wales by Karen Harper which I hope to squeeze in!

I am having laser eye surgery May 14th and although I can't read that day, they have asked that I try to read a lot in the next couple of days after my recovery. I call that heaven! :D

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat May 2nd, 2009, 8:00 pm

[quote=""zsigandr""]April 2009:

I am having laser eye surgery May 14th and although I can't read that day, they have asked that I try to read a lot in the next couple of days after my recovery. I call that heaven! :D [/quote]

Now that's medical advice I can live with! Especially if you get to stay off work and read!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Sat May 9th, 2009, 11:55 am

Just finished Azincourt. I'd list this one at a 3.5/5.

Bernard Cornwell is not one of my favourite authors, but I did love A Crowning Mercy!

Now on to the highly anticipated and long awaited The Traitor's Wife!

Count down is on to the Laser Eye Surgery day and the recovery period which requires lots of reading - the best advice ever. I hope to be finished The Traitor's Wife and have The Borgia Bride and The First Princess of Wales at the top of TBR pile.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Sat May 16th, 2009, 11:49 am

Just finished the Traitor's Wife last night. Recovering from my laser eye surgery quite well, but couldn't read for the 1st 24 hours or I would have finished this novel sooner. I had waited quite a while to get a copy of this book and it was more than well worth the wait.

I would give this one a 5/5! I absolutely loved it. I was able to become attached to the characters. I could sympathize with Eleanor, could hate Hugh at times, but think he wasn't quite so bad at others. Edward II was a sad figure to me. He wanted to be loved and to enjoy life, not to rule. I would highly recommend this book to anyone.

Well, now onto the Borgia Bride.
Andrea

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Mon May 18th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Just finished The Borgia Bride and would give it a 4/5. It was an easy read (with the exception of the incest scenes) and I learned more about Italy then I had previously known - such as how Ferdinand of Spain became King of Naples.

Also some terrible information on the Borgia family and just how awful they truly were!

On to a much lighter read with The Princess of Wales by Karen Harper.

MedievalBookworm
Scribbler

Post by MedievalBookworm » Thu May 21st, 2009, 9:31 am

Good to know about The Borgia Bride - I've been wanting to read that one. I have read The Princess of Wales and it's what I'd call historical fiction lite. Looking forward to seeing what you think!

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Thu May 28th, 2009, 10:22 am

Just finished the First Princess of Wales and it is a "light" read, although just over 600 pages! I did enjoy it, knowing full well that it would be more romantic than some of the other historical fiction.

I did get kind of frustrated with Joan's running away though, it did seem to get a little tiring to me. I can relate to being stubborn, however, I like to think that I don't let my stubborness rule me as Joan does - though my husband may beg to differ! :D

Overall, it is enjoyable and I did learn a fair bit about Joan of Kent in this novel. Prior to this, I had only read about Joan as a small character within Katherine, by Anya Seton.

Now on to heavier reading, meaning less fluffy, with Decision Most Deadly by Mark Turnbull.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 9:43 am

I have been bad and put down one book to start and finish another! I had requested a copy of The Time of Singing from my library and it came in, so I read that before I finished Decision Most Deadly.

The Time of Singing was a great novel! I really enjoyed it. The characters were well rounded and human! I could relate to Ida and Roger. I have already posted my thoughts about this book in the Book of the Month area, but would highly recommend reading this one - I'd give it a 5/5! :D

Now, back to Decision Most Deadly!
Andrea

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Tue June 16th, 2009, 4:06 pm

I've now finished Decision Most Deadly and it was a completely new era for me to read about. I did enjoy the novel. It was full of political turmoil and poor Charles Berkley was stuck in the middle of this turmoil and does not want to have to choose between Parliament and King Charles I. I won't divulge anything further for anyone who might want to read the book.

I am now on to the Winter Mantle by EC. I am also reading an old ghost story The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. I do enjoy a scare once in awhile, so I thought that this would make a good summer read.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Thu June 18th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Finished The Haunting of Hill House and have to say that I am a little disappointed! I don't ususally stray from HF too often, but do enjoy a good scare once in a while and unfortunately did not get that from this book. :(

Back to the Winter Mantle which I am enjoying far more than the ghost story that wasn't!

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2009”