Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Tudors chat

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 9:50 am

Recent article in The Times about how they're not going to bother making Henry fat as he gets older.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 641310.ece

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 5:06 pm

Sigh :P

I was hoping for maybe a little accuracy there!

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Sat September 6th, 2008, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 5:30 pm

If Henry's svelte, it doesn't give Katherine Howard much of an excuse for fooling around, does it?
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 5:34 pm

I guess he'll just have to treat her really really badly.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 6:40 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]If Henry's svelte, it doesn't give Katherine Howard much of an excuse for fooling around, does it?[/quote]

Well, he would still be around 51 in the year she was executed whereas she would be anything from 17 to 22 (her year of birth is unclear). So, provided they get the gap in age more or less right, she would still think of him as ancient, however good shape he was in for his age. Though it sounds like they will age him a bit but probably nowhere near enough.

Even nowadays most 17-year-old girls would not look twice at a man of 40, let alone 51, however attractive, if a male of much nearer her own age was around, methinks. All the more so back then.

Mara
Scribbler

Post by Mara » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 7:45 pm

They say they're going to age him well. Oh yeah! :rolleyes: Somehow him staying slim defeats the object. But then, it's only make believe telly. :p

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Fri September 5th, 2008, 11:51 pm

So in tonight's episode, Henry is starting to regret the death of Sir Thomas More.. like 'Woops, sorry Thomas. I didn't mean to chop your head off!' :rolleyes:

It looks as though he's going to use it as an excuse to get rid of Anne. How historically accurate is this, does anyone know? Did he blame her and use Sir Thomas' death as an excuse to get all the adultery rumours in motion?

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Sat September 6th, 2008, 5:38 am

I'm far from a Tudor-era expert (in fact I rather dislike it after the saturation it's received recently and rarely read anything on it) but as far as I know the main thing Henry blamed Anne for was, as always, failure to provide a male heir. That would have been the overriding reason more than anything.

Ellie
Reader

Post by Ellie » Fri September 12th, 2008, 4:02 am

I just watched season 1 on DVD and thought it was alright. I don't really know much (or anything really) on that time period so don't know much about historical accuracy. I thought there was too much sex though- I'm definately not a prude and don't mind a good sex scene but I think they went a bit overboard (maybe to keep viewers interested who would not otherwise be that into history?).
Sam Neill, (a terrific actor) was fantastic and I quite enjoyed looking at Charles Brandon (or the actor that played him anyway :D ).

Anyone know when I can expect it on DVD in Australia?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri September 12th, 2008, 9:37 am

Hi Ellie

Season 1 has been out for a while now. Not sure when we will get Season 2.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”