Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lord John mysteries

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Lord John mysteries

Post by diamondlil » Fri September 5th, 2008, 10:50 pm

One of the characters in the Outlander novels is Lord John Grey, and Diana Gabaldon has spun off a mystery series featuring him as the main character.

One of the interesting parts of this series is that Lord John is a gay man living at a time where if he is caught he will be sentenced to death.

The stories in chronological order, and for the short stories the book that they can be found in are:

**Lord John and the Hellfire Club
Lord John and the Private Matter
**Lord John and the Succubus
Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade
**Lord John and the Haunted Soldier

**A couple of these novellas have been published in other anthologies, but they were all bought together in one place in the book Lord John and the Hand of Devils which was published in 2007.

On her blog today, DG provided an excerpt from the next Lord John story which will be called The Custom of the Army, and will be published in an anthology called Warriors.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Judith
Scribbler

Post by Judith » Wed September 10th, 2008, 12:33 am

I really enjoyed the Lord John Series. I'll have to check out the excerpt. But really don't like it when she publishes it in another book, that I will probably not buy. :( Guess I'll just have to wait for it to be published on it's own.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Wed September 10th, 2008, 12:35 am

I'm torn on whether or not to read these. I loved the Outlander series but Lord John was not a favorite character of mine. I can't understand why he, of all of them, got his own spin off series. I think he's kind of boring, actually! But I do love her writing so I should probably at least try the first one!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Judith
Scribbler

Post by Judith » Wed September 10th, 2008, 12:56 am

You should really give them a try!! Lord John really is not all that boring, especially in these books! :)

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed September 10th, 2008, 5:17 am

[quote=""1lila1""]I'm torn on whether or not to read these. I loved the Outlander series but Lord John was not a favorite character of mine. I can't understand why he, of all of them, got his own spin off series. I think he's kind of boring, actually! But I do love her writing so I should probably at least try the first one![/quote]

Lord John wasn't my favourite character either, but other than the first full book (LJ and the Private Matter) I have really loved all of them. The first book was well written but the starting premise for the 'mystery' was a bit strange really. It got better by the end of the book, but the damage was done.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed September 10th, 2008, 8:38 am

I loved Lord John and the Private Matter. Brilliant attention-grabbing opener!
I hope to read the rest; they're on my mental TBR.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed September 10th, 2008, 8:44 am

Isn't it strange! The opening just did not work for me! Like I said, I got into it by the end. If you liked that one, I think you will like the remaining books! I loved them.

Edith Wharton

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Wed September 10th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Yeah, I can't say that Lord John in the Outlander series was one of my favorite characters. So, I have been humming and hawing about whether to even give the Lord John series a go. I think I just might, but I have a few other books to get through first.
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Wed September 26th, 2012, 7:33 pm

I am working my way through the Outlander series on my Kindle & decided to try Lord John & the Brotherhood of the Blade on cds from the library for my commute, & I am now hooked. I've just ordered 2 more audio books from Amazon - LJ & the Private Matter & LJ & the Hand of Devils. I know there are a couple more books besides those. I was wondering, does anyone know if my favorite - Percy, from BOTB reappears in any of the other books?

Return to “Diana Gabaldon”