Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who are your favorite romance authors??

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 5th, 2008, 5:56 pm

[quote=""1lila1""]

True! I just get annoyed that it's always the heroine having to understand and put up with bad behavior from the poor tortured hero. Give me a break! Women have it rough too! Let's see a female behaving badly and have the hero be the longsuffering soul who has to put up with her and still love her in the end!![/quote]

This puts in mind a romance I read about some society catch goes wild when she thinks 'he' doens't love her she throughs caution to the wind, I believe it is The Society Catch or something like that and 'he' recuses her from a total catasrophe her life was fast becoming and somehow they both end up confessing their true feelings in an not so easy setting.

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Fri September 5th, 2008, 10:12 pm

[quote=""1lila1""]True! I just get annoyed that it's always the heroine having to understand and put up with bad behavior from the poor tortured hero. Give me a break! Women have it rough too! Let's see a female behaving badly and have the hero be the longsuffering soul who has to put up with her and still love her in the end!![/quote]

Have you read It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas in the Wallflower series? This book definitely is the opposite of the pattern you just described. Lillian Bowman is a strong-willed American heiress who gets under the skin of straitlaced earl Marcus Westcliff. He ends up catching her in outrageous behaviors - one of them is playing rounders (aka baseball) in her and her friends bloomers! Funny! Despite Lillian's over the top behavior and her mouthyness, Marcus falls in love with her. I liked this story as I have a tendency to be mouthy myself, but my husband said he married me for my lip...so there you go! ;)
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri September 5th, 2008, 10:22 pm

There's an earlier Kleypas that might fit the bill as well - Then Came You.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Fri September 5th, 2008, 10:50 pm

Oh yeah! I wanted to read this book. It is one of her earlier ones! Here is a blurb off of her site "Lily Lawson, a thirty-year-old unwed mother who is a professional gambler and engages in all sorts of wild activity, all because she is trying to find the little daughter who has been stolen from her." Sounds unorthodox. Can't stand the stories of the damsel in distress who needs to be rescued by the overmuscled overarrogant alfa male!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri September 5th, 2008, 11:02 pm

My review of that book is here.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat September 6th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Thanks for the rec's! I love Lisa Kleypas so will definitely be reading them. I think I actually have It Happened One Autumn and Then Came You at home.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:16 pm

for westerns, Linda Lael Miller is a favorite.

Bobbi
Scribbler

Post by Bobbi » Wed November 5th, 2008, 2:41 am

Where do I start... Diana Gabaldon, Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, Judith McNaught, Julie Garwood, Sara Donai, Jennifer Donnelly, Gaelen Foley, Stephanie Laurens, Nora Roberts. I love romance novels. :D

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed November 5th, 2008, 8:55 am

Have you tried Elizabeth Hoyt?

Edith Wharton

Bobbi
Scribbler

Post by Bobbi » Wed November 5th, 2008, 9:44 am

No Marg, is she good? Looks like she's only got a couple of books, I'll try her out.

Return to “Historical Romance”