Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So here's what has been going on

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri September 5th, 2008, 9:46 pm

It's a bit strange to see such faithful posters banned on a site!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri September 5th, 2008, 9:51 pm

Absolute power and all that jazz. She probably doesnt want you guys muscling in on her gig or something. Of course I could be wrong.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Fri September 5th, 2008, 9:55 pm

What have you all been banned for? Referring members to this site? They should at least expect that with all the unprofessional conduct that they have been conducting! I for myself haven't even checked out the old site, I am moving foreward baby, not looking behind!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri September 5th, 2008, 10:05 pm

Well before people were talking about deleting their posts. I wonder if that did it? :confused:
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Kailana
Reader

Post by Kailana » Fri September 5th, 2008, 10:08 pm

Howdy,

So, apparently people have some questions, and I can now answer them! As some people know, I was a mod at the 'other' site, but with life and not really reading much historical fiction this year I was pretty much a dead poster! I was out of the loop because I would flip through the discussions and see that I didn't really have anything to say. It is what happens when you haven't read any of the books discussed on the forums... Anyway, so I didn't even notice the site went down because I was not really around. I think I read it on a blog, Marg's probably. And, I rejoined over here and I have been posting!

But, the other day Miranda (yes, you are right, she used to be a mod at HFF and now she is an admin) emailed me and told me that I was apparently an admin over at HFF now. This surprised me because I was not even made aware of it. It also seemed a bit silly because everyone is over here and who would want two historical fiction forums! But, apparently, being admin means that we can do what we want, which is what Marg and Susan wanted all along. So, contrary to what people think, it is not going to be in competition with this place. We can't change the name, but we can change the format. We are just going to make it a general forum to cover all forms of books.

So, um, there is no split... Well, not on my end anyway! I post here, see post count, and I will post over there! As it stands right now, I am just helping Miranda change things over and if things work out, things work out. It is not a competition, I quite like Marg and Boswell, and I have no problems with anything.

Also, Miranda did mention she temporarily banned a couple people. I didn't have internet access yesterday, so I am not totally sure on the details. I am just catching up now.

Anyway, so there is what is going on. I know people wanted answers earlier than this, but, like I said, I was just made admin and then we had to decide if we were going to carry the site on or say no. So, I hope there is no animosity. It was nothing underhanded or sneaky.

I hope this makes sense... I was going to save it for later, but read this forum and decided it really couldn't be held off, so I am typing rather fast.

--- Kelly (waving the white flag!)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri September 5th, 2008, 10:20 pm

Thanks for posting, Kaliana. No animosity on this end either. I'm looking forward to seeing what the revamped site looks like.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri September 5th, 2008, 11:17 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I'm still allowed there. I see there are still people posting there and new members joining and introducing themselves.
Should I post a message?

(I also want to nab my reviews before they disappear).[/quote]
too late, SPB. You've been banned.
I'm not interested in deleting any of my stuff, altho I would like copies of the more interesting posts over on this forum. Mostly a certain disappointment with the forum owners going on here, and a desire to see those who have missed the forum discussion not get 'left out' and wondering where everybody went. I'd just as soon see the work we all put into the old forum still be accessible.

But I'm darned if I know how they are going to do general book discussion under the name 'historicalfiction.org'.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Fri September 5th, 2008, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat September 6th, 2008, 12:25 am

[quote=""MLE""]too late, SPB. You've been banned.
I'm not interested in deleting any of my stuff, altho I would like copies of the more interesting posts over on this forum. Mostly a certain disappointment with the forum owners going on here, and a desire to see those who have missed the forum discussion not get 'left out' and wondering where everybody went. I'd just as soon see the work we all put into the old forum still be accessible.

But I'm darned if I know how they are going to do general book discussion under the name 'historicalfiction.org'.[/quote]

"she temporarily banned a couple people"

So far I count myself, MLE, EC and now sweetpotatoboy and that's more than a couple and while I can see MLE EC and myself ruffling a few feathers deleting posts and dropping the new website I can't fathom why SPB was banned.

Whatever floats their boat,but it's still such a mystery.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sat September 6th, 2008, 12:53 am

[quote=""MLE""]too late, SPB. You've been banned.

But I'm darned if I know how they are going to do general book discussion under the name 'historicalfiction.org'.[/quote]

Good question about historicalfiction.org. I just queried it on their forum

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:28 am

WTF!! For what reason??

I don't think I ever even got round to posting any message at all about moving to the new forum!! (I started typing one at one point but never actually posted it as others had already done so...)

So the only way anyone could know was by reading messages I'd posted HERE...

The truth is that, if both forums remained active and vibrant, I might have been tempted to contribute to both.

OK, it says my ban will be lifted on 19 September. Reason for ban: None. Great. Very mature.

Return to “Chat”