Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue May 5th, 2009, 3:30 pm

My job... which I hate... and management has just dumped another unrealistic expectation on us... My mind just boggles at their schemes, and I've lost faith in their ability to ever do the right thing. I feel like I'm living in a Dilbert cartoon. My morale has been down for a long time now, but there just isn't other work out there that would make a feasible commute for me having children in school and a husband who travels out of town frequently for his job. I've tried to convince my husband we could get by, but he's not convinced yet. I don't know how much longer I can take the stupidity of micro-management and bureaucracy run amuck. I wake up every morning thinking I don't want to do this anymore, I don't want do this anymore, but I've got to... and I feel pathetic and spoiled because it's not as bad as all that; I'm just mentally burnt out from how tedious every single minute of the day is here, wasting my time on little things at the office that don't matter in the longrun and not having the time to take care of the things that do matter.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Tue May 5th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Hi Ludmilla,

It sounds like you could use a break! I can understand the feelings that you are experiencing as I go through similar ups and downs and there are times when I just feel so burnt out that I don't know if you can even make it out the door!

Personally, I think that it is normal to go through these types of feelings given how our society works. We live to work, not work to live and have to focus on small things that really don't matter in the long run.

I think that during this economic down turn, we will see more employers take advantage of employees as they know that there is no where else to look for employment.

Keep your head up and vent when needed - there are lot of good listeners here! :)

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu May 7th, 2009, 2:33 pm

This is turning into a difficult week. Hubby is out of town and our security alarm went off in the middle of the night. I didn't have the police come out because we've had storms and thought wind might have triggered a sensor or that my husband might have forgotten to turn the lock when he shut the door of the garage -- but no, when I went outside this morning to get a good look, someone had obviously kicked in the bottom left panel of the automatic door to my husband's garage (it's detached from the house, so not part of the house, thankfully). I didn't notice anything obvious missing. Nothing looked moved or in disorder, but this is my husband's workshop with a lot of power tools and woodworking equipment, etc. We won't know if anything was stolen until my husband gets home to inspect. I filed a police report this morning. Our house sits nearly a quarter mile off the road , is partially surrounded by woods, so it's creepy thinking of someone out there at night breaking in with my husband gone, and I'd been reading a book about a haunted house, so now I am fully creeped out by the whole experience. One more night to go til hubby gets home!

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Thu May 7th, 2009, 4:23 pm

Sorry to hear the week has been so tough for you, Ludmilla.

Hopefully nothing was stolen, but good thing you filled out a police report just in case.

Glad to hear only 1 more night until hubby is home! Do you ever notice that things like this always happen when husbands aren't home? A couple of years ago, when my husband was on a business trip, someone broke into our garage and stole all the meat in our freezer using my favourite matching luggage to cart it away in!

Hang in there! :)
Andrea

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Thu May 7th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Gosh Ludmilla, I would be creeped out too !

Just one more night, hang in there !!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu May 7th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Keep the doors locked, Ludmilla. And look in the back of your car before you get in. (A wise habit to learn, if you don't already.) I hope you have a biggish dog. Mine isn't all that threatening, but intruders don't know it, so they tend to pick on properties without dogs.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri May 8th, 2009, 2:17 pm

I'm another year older, not feeling it this year nor was I last year but oh well.

After three years of no contact with my mother which is the way it needs to be she calls my father hounding him for my address and number, he doesn't give in because he respects my decision so she mails him letters to foward them to me thinking I'll reply. Why can't she leave well enough alone, it's bad enough then on top it's mothers day in a few days.....AAAHHH I want to scream. I'm not letting it get to me too bad though.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri May 8th, 2009, 3:07 pm

GPS is great but not when it loses satellite reception. I was in Baltimore yesterday and got lost because of that!

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri May 8th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Damn... Just got an e-mail telling me another one of the places I have done work for over the last few years has shut down. It's the third freelance market that has closed within the last year. I'm OK, because I've got other stuff going on, at least for now, and other markets that (so far) are fine, but they laid off a really talented young multimedia producer. Together, we helped each other win the biggest award in business journalism last summer after a major project abt China. Now she is unemployed in the worst job market for journalists imaginable. :( :(

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon May 11th, 2009, 5:46 am

My sister came over and brought her 20 week old Min Pin Ghandi with her. Jasper wanted to eat him. So we had to put Jasper in my bedroom while the Min Pin was in the house. He kept crying to be let out but I couldn't let him hurt the puppy.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Chat”