Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Juliet Dymoke

JaneConsumer
Reader

Juliet Dymoke

Post by JaneConsumer » Fri September 5th, 2008, 8:46 pm

My earlier comment, reposted here:

I didn't see a thread on this author, although I did find a message by boswellbaxter, mentioning that Dymoke is one of her favorite authors.

I have had my eye on picking up the Plantagenet series for awhile, and I finally found a bargain on all 6 books. The titles are:

1. A Pride of Kings
2. The Royal Griffin
3. Lion of Mortimer
4. Lady of the Garter
5. Lord of Greenwich
6. The Sun in Splendor

According to the pitch on the book covers, the novels portray the reigns of the kings - from King John to Richard III - through the eyes of actual historical figures around them. So, for example, William Marshal provides the POV for the first book.

But I didn't start with #1, because if it didn't live up to the man I met through EC's books, I wasn't sure I could continue with the series. And I have been waiting a long time ... :rolleyes:

So, I started with #4, which deals with Joan of Kent. I know nothing about her other than what I read through this novel. I'd love to hear from someone about the accuracy of it. If I had to guess, I'd speculate that the author romanticized the relationships Joan had with her men. But as it is, it's just a guess.

The story opens when Joan is 12 or 13 and agrees to marry a relatively unknown, but ambitious, young man named Thomas Holland on the sly. She does, and thinking she's his, he goes away on some campaign or other on Edward III's orders.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Joan's parents carry through with their plans to marry her to a wealthy landowner. I don't have the book to hand, and I can only remember his first name, William.

Their marriage strikes me as typical for the times. Not happy. But not horrible either.

After about 7 years, Thomas, who has gained fame and fortune, finally succeeds in annulling Joan's marriage to William. They are together until his death several years later. He was a relatively young man - about mid-30s - when he dies of some unexplained disease, perhaps tuberculosis.

Prior to Thomas annulling the marriage, Joan is seduced by Edward III. I don't know whether there is any basis for this part of the story. Perhaps one of our resident experts will speak up. :)

After Thomas dies, Joan marries Edward, the Black Prince. They have 2 children, including the future Richard II.

I really enjoyed this book. For entertainment value alone, it's worth 5/5 stars. If it's relatively accurate, too, all the better.

Regarding the other titles, #2 deals with Henry III through the characters, Eleanor and Simon (as in the same pair in Falls the Shadow), #3 deals with Edward II through Isabella and Roger Mortimer, #5, Henry V through his brother, Humphrey, and #6, the title is a dead giveaway. It deals with Edward IV and Richard III.

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Fri September 5th, 2008, 8:47 pm

Reposting a follow up remark:

I just finished The Lion of Mortimer. I enjoyed it very much. Having read The Traitor's Wife several months ago, I enjoyed the same perspective from different characters.

For all the harm Edward II did, I really, really feel sorry for him. Not that it matters anymore. But he was soooo in over his head.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri September 5th, 2008, 11:37 pm

I read The Lord of Greenwich earlier this year and enjoyed it. I have several of the others, but haven't gotten to them yet.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun March 7th, 2010, 8:32 pm

I'm sort of reviving an old thread here, but I really liked Juliet Dymoke's Of the Ring of Earls, the first in a loosely-connected trilogy. This one is about Waltheof, so basically the same story as in EC's The Winter Mantle; but it's told in a totally different way. I absolutely loved this book, more so than the first in the Plantagenet series. The next two books in the trilogy are Henry of the High Rock, about Henry I; and Lion's Legacy, about Stephen and Matilda. Anybody read any of these?

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Sun March 7th, 2010, 10:10 pm

I read Of the Ring of Earls and Henry of the High Rock and enjoyed them both. I'd love to get my hand on Lion's Legacy, but it's a bit pricey. Guess I'll continue to look in the used book stores.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 7th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Sigh..... might have to try for an ILL. I don't see much movement at PBS or Bookmooch.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon March 8th, 2010, 5:06 am

"Lion's Legacy" is set during the Anarchy period, isn't it? I've read the other two, but not that one.The Plantagenet ones are meant to be pretty good as well, but haven't tackled any of those. "Henry of the High Rock" is one that EC put me on to- there's so little fiction around about Henry I - surprising really.

I was quite tickled to come across Walthoef's famous bearskin cloak again- it features in EC's "Winter Mantle".

Return to “By Author”