Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Saxon Stories

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon May 4th, 2009, 2:38 am

An update for those who are reading Bernard Cornwell's "Saxon Stories"--Book 5 now has a title, "The Burning Land" It will be published in the UK in October of this year and in the US in January of next year.
Synopsis:
In the last years of the ninth century, King Alfred of Wessex is in failing health, and his heir is an untested youth. The Danes, who have failed so many times to conquer Wessex, smell opportunity! First comes Harald Bloodhair, a savage warrior leading a Viking horde, who is encouraged to cruelty by his woman, Skade. But Alfred still has the services of Uhtred, his unwilling warlord, who leads Harald into a trap and, at Farnham in Surrey, inflicts one of the greatest defeats the Vikings were ever to suffer. This novel, the fifth in the magnificent series of England's history tells of the final assaults on Alfred's Wessex, that Wessex survived to become England is because men like Uhtred defeated an enemy feared throughout Christendom.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon May 4th, 2009, 9:17 am

I thought I would copy this post over here into the Bernard Cornwell section of the forum, to allow for a bit more discussion if people would like.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

stu1883
Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

Post by stu1883 » Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:10 am

I can't wait! I love this story - even if he is a bit repetitive by saying that a sword gets put in the dead persons hand so Uthred can drink with him in the Death Hall!

I think a couple of times in each book is fine but as Uthred kills dozens of men every book, it can be a bit annoying having it mentioned so often.

MedievalBookworm
Scribbler

Post by MedievalBookworm » Wed May 20th, 2009, 9:32 am

I'm looking forward to this one. I really love this series! I know enough about Anglo-Saxon history that I can recognize the characters, but not enough that I know what's going to happen or get bothered by the fictional aspects. I do agree with Stu that Cornwell gets a bit repetitive at certain points, but I always think his battle scenes make me feel like I could have been in the shield-wall. They're grittier than much of the hf focusing on women, adds variety to my reading life. :D

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Sat May 23rd, 2009, 12:07 pm

Really, really looking forward to this as well. Even if I'll have to wait until the middle of next year as I don't buy trade paperbacks.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun May 24th, 2009, 1:30 am

Mmm, just in time for the holidays; looks like I have one of David's presents on the list already!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat September 5th, 2009, 8:20 am

Not long now! "Burning Land" is due out 1 October (in the UK) and for those who would like a taster, Bernard Cornwell has posted an excerpt on his website.

This charming manc
Scribbler

Post by This charming manc » Fri September 11th, 2009, 12:14 am

This is where I deviate from most Cornwell fans and say I dont like the series, I dont dislike it either, it just hasnt grabbed me.

Bring me the warlord sries, most sharpe books, and starbuck chronicles first

CindyInOz
Reader

Post by CindyInOz » Fri October 9th, 2009, 1:55 am

I've been sooo looking forward to The Burning Land and have just ordered a copy from BD. Has anyone read it yet (or started reading it)? If it's as good as the first four books, I'll put it straight on top of my TBR pile.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri October 9th, 2009, 7:19 am

My copy just arrived today, hurray! so I'll very likely be starting it tomorrow :)

Return to “Bernard Cornwell”