Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Who are your favorite romance authors??

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Wed August 27th, 2008, 7:16 pm

"I guess that the hero of "Keeper of the Dream" was a hard man because he'd had such a hard and lonely childhood, and we did see him grow in emotional warmth as the story went on."

True! I just get annoyed that it's always the heroine having to understand and put up with bad behavior from the poor tortured hero. Give me a break! Women have it rough too! Let's see a female behaving badly and have the hero be the longsuffering soul who has to put up with her and still love her in the end!!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu August 28th, 2008, 11:43 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]
A recent discovery for me is Celeste de Blasis, and I recomment checking her out for those who love big bold meaty historical sagas. She wrote in the 80's and although classified as HR they are a definite step up from that towards HF. I've already read Wild Swan (review posted) the first of three books on a family that leaves England and emigrates to Maryland and starts up raising/racing horses. It was quite good.
[/quote]

I loved reading Celeste de Blasis' books, they were so involved. Hmm, I wonder if I still have them squirreled away somewhere.

Mary Balogh and Mary Jo Putney are still cranking out Regencies, but they tend to be good, especially the earlier novels. Putney (I think) had one of her earliest rereleased and retitled The Rake, which was very very good -- it had a hero who was having to deal with a real problem, and she didn't get wishy washy at all about it.

Jane Feather doesn't do too badly sometimes, she had one trilogy set in Edwardian London that was decent on the details.

Roberta Gellis' Roselynde novels are still favourites of mine.

I'm sure there must be more, but I can't think of anyone right at the moment. A lot of the authors that I used to like when I was younger have either stopped writing, or they've really decreased in quality.

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Sat August 30th, 2008, 11:14 pm

On Wednesday both Leyland and EC2 gave favorable mention to Watch the Wall, My Darling. I ordered it from paperback swap; it arrived this morning and I'm halfway through it. What a fun romance. Thanks.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun August 31st, 2008, 10:17 am

[quote=""lindymc""]On Wednesday both Leyland and EC2 gave favorable mention to Watch the Wall, My Darling. I ordered it from paperback swap; it arrived this morning and I'm halfway through it. What a fun romance. Thanks.[/quote]

Glad you're enjoying it Lindymc. I must go up into the loft and rediscover my well loved dog-eared copy.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 1st, 2008, 1:09 pm

I've got a trilogy from the 70's and 80's I discovered recently that I really enjoyed. Starting at the end of the civil war the heroine leaves Virginia to start life as a reporter (her father ran a newspaper in Virginia) and meets up with unhappily married wall street banker. The series winds up in the 1890's. While a bit soap opera-ish/TV mini feel at times, but the author puts in tons of detail of the period and gets a lot of the politics and famous people of the era into her story. I learned way more about US Gran'ts presidency than I ever picked up in the history books. Series in order (reviews posted on Amazon),

Castles in the Air
No Greater Love
On Wings of Dreams

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 1st, 2008, 4:21 pm

My favourite historical romance writer as a teenager was Victoria Holt, I think because they were a little bit 'gothic'. Some of her books have recently been republished (within the last few years), which I have on my TBR pile, to see if they retain the same old magic for me. I've read one of them - the Mistress of Mellyn - and I enjoyed it.

Diana Gabaldon has to be a favourite at the moment!

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:58 pm

Is there any Laura Kinsale fans out there. I loved Flowers from the Storm and The Shadow and the Star. The characters have such a depth to them that they really get under your skin. She really deviates from the typical romance formula that seems to get pumped out profusely these days. Lisa Kleypas is right up there as well as Julia Quinn for a fun easy read. Garwood is good too!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 9:13 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]My favourite historical romance writer as a teenager was Victoria Holt, I think because they were a little bit 'gothic'.[/quote]

I read all the Holts, too. I read the first six of the Philippa Carr 'Daughters of England' series she (Eleanor Hibbert) also wrote. Jake Pennlyon of The Lion Triumphant is one of my favorite heroes and the book is my favorite one of the series I read.

Madeleine Brent's novels are among my all time favorites and I have all of them in permanent library.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_Brent

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 5th, 2008, 5:38 pm

My first in Historical Romance was Devils Desire by Laurie McBain if I'm correct, I bought it for five cents at a garage sale read three or four times, lost it and about a year or so ago I found another copy on amazon and bought it againand since have read it twice. Also someone on the old forum recommended Wolf and the Dove(forgot the author) which I loved. Kathleen Woodwiss is another favoreite, and J. Lindsay.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 5th, 2008, 5:44 pm

[quote=""Spitfire""]Lisa Kleypas is right up there as well as Julia Quinn for a fun easy read.[/quote]

I have three Quinn books and enjoyed each one, your right they are light and fun to read.

Return to “Historical Romance”