Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Sat May 2nd, 2009, 7:29 pm

Ash, you should be proud! Teachers have the ability to influence children and it is obvious your influence has been a positive one and deserves recognition.

You are obviously the teacher that most of parents hope their children will get!

MLE - wow! A lynx kitten how exciting. It would have been amazing to see such a creature in the wild.

My best thing today was enjoying a day to clean up my gardens before the rain started again. I love spring! :D

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon May 4th, 2009, 8:33 pm

SIX books arrived from the book depository in the UK!!!! Each in its own little wrapping. It was like Christmas.

So when I finish writing, I will be able to read (inter alia) Mantel's Wolf Hall. Yum.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue May 5th, 2009, 12:47 am

Thanks all! I did have to keep reminding myself how wonderful it all was because I have two, um, challenges right now in the morning class....I just have to keep remembering how many of those HS kids were challenges back in the day!

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue May 5th, 2009, 12:59 am

That's wonderful Ash!!!!!!!! Congratulations on being such an inspiration!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue May 5th, 2009, 5:02 am

Wow, a lynx kitten. Amazing. That must have been something to see. I'd love to experience that, as the lynx is so rare these days.

And Ash's story is a reminder of the vital importance of teachers in this world, surely the most underpaid and undervalued profession, by far. Congratulations, Ash! When all is said and done, this is what counts: how thrilling to know you have made a lasting difference in a child's life.

For me, the best thing today was coming home after a crazy day at work and finding a box of chocolates and fruit sent by a very special writer friend to congratulate me on the trade pb release of THE LAST QUEEN. It was so unexpected; since release days can often feel like dull thuds, at least now I'll have sweet pears and apples and chocolates to celebrate with!
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue May 5th, 2009, 6:00 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]Wow, a lynx kitten. Amazing. That must have been something to see. I'd love to experience that, as the lynx is so rare these days.
[/quote]
We have a few lynxes around the East Bay Regional Parks. My daughter woke up to a mountain lion observing her pack llamas from atop a picnic table on the Ohlone trail ten years back. (It left when it saw her, which she says is a testimony of how she looks at six AM) The one I hike is Del Valle. There is an eyrie of golden eagles near the lake, and the pair has raised eaglets there for almost eight years running.

I do most of my 'writing' on the hour-long walk up and down 'bunburner hill'. If you want to come on out sometime, you can see if you can keep up with an old lady packing her grandkid!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue May 5th, 2009, 3:07 pm

Wow, MLE! That's the kind of thing I'd love to do when my kids are older.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed May 6th, 2009, 6:20 pm

[quote=""MLE""]We have a few lynxes around the East Bay Regional Parks. [/quote]

Where in the East Bay are you? I had no idea there were lynxes and eagles! I see eagles in Lake Tahoe; there's a bald eagle pair that nest every season near Emerald Bay. We're going to see them at the end of May. It's a trek, but well worth it; the eagles return to the same huge nest built high up in the crook of a lightning-blasted tree. They're incredibly beautiful to watch. I see falcons in my local parks, and a few coyotes have been sighted, but never lynx. I love lynx; in Spain, I used to see them in the area where I lived, but now they're severely threatened.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu May 7th, 2009, 3:00 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]Where in the East Bay are you? I had no idea there were lynxes and eagles! I see eagles in Lake Tahoe; there's a bald eagle pair that nest every season near Emerald Bay. We're going to see them at the end of May. It's a trek, but well worth it; the eagles return to the same huge nest built high up in the crook of a lightning-blasted tree. They're incredibly beautiful to watch. I see falcons in my local parks, and a few coyotes have been sighted, but never lynx. I love lynx; in Spain, I used to see them in the area where I lived, but now they're severely threatened.[/quote]
I'm in Livermore. Here is the link to Del Valle. You'd never guess that the place I hike is so close to suburbia-- from the top of the ridge, you can look south to the Ohlone wilderness, and beyond that to the Orestimba wilderness. Turn around and you see all of Livermore, Pleasanton, and Dublin. Maybe we can get Julianne to join us -- she lives just around the corner. Wildflowers are going crazy right now.

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Thu May 7th, 2009, 3:58 pm

My husband and I went for a walk last night and saw a blue heron flying above, and a beaver swimming in, our river (that is very high due to tons of rain). We're live in a pretty remote place, but that's why we're here too :)

Return to “Chat”