Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Mon April 27th, 2009, 4:17 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Mine: the migraine is mostly gone (tks to two shots of Demerol at the ER yesterday), and the sun is still out and it's gorgeous weather.[/quote]

Ouch - sorry to hear that the migraine has lasted that long! I can sympathize as I suffer from those as well, however, mine are worst in the autumn when I don't mind staying inside in the dark. Hope you are feeling better soon!

As well, to all those who sent my congrats - thanks for your kind words. I am definitely a proud mom right now.

Andrea
Last edited by zsigandr on Mon April 27th, 2009, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Mon April 27th, 2009, 6:37 pm

TPTB at Google have decided that my blog isn't spam after all. They never emailed me about their decision, but I'm back in business.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon April 27th, 2009, 10:18 pm

My mom, Harmony and I each got a letter saying that because of Obama's economic recovery plan we'll each get a $250 one time payment from SSI (which we are all on).

I also got a new wireless mouse.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue April 28th, 2009, 7:54 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]My mom, Harmony and I each got a letter saying that because of Obama's economic recovery plan we'll each get a $250 one time payment from SSI (which we are all on).

I also got a new wireless mouse.

SM[/quote]

I got that news yesterday. Exceopt it's my husband and two sons.

Best thing today is seeing not only buds on the lilacs and the fruit trees, but also dandelions, violets, and white violets. Plus I identified lillies of the valley growing out front.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu April 30th, 2009, 11:09 pm

This morning on my regular hike up the hill, I saw a lynx kitten! I have seen the parent, once or twice from a distance over the years, but this kit was just sitting on a log -- so perfectly camoflaged that I never would have noticed it if it hadn't moved -- and not more than 30 yards away. We just stared at each other for five minutes while I checked out the markings -- had to run back and google an image. Yup, lynx kitten.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat May 2nd, 2009, 2:14 pm

Last night I attended an event at the high school where the hearing impaired program is located. I knew I would see some of my now grown up preschoolers there, but oh my - I could barely make it to my chair, I had so many kids, and parents coming up to me 'you remember me?' Of course I did and I was on a high all evening (still am). Its part of why I love to teach (a big part): knowing that what I do is the beginning of success for these children. What I forget is what an impact I made on them, and on their parents. One mom, who I haven't seen in about 15 years, told me that if it wasn't for me, her daughter would not be where she is now. Wow. Just wow. Sorry if I am bragging, but I am feeling pretty darn proud of myself, and thrilled, and a bit more willing to go back on Monday to teach those little critters I was ready to choke yesterday :)

I saw a quote once: they might not remember what you said, but they'll never forget how you made them feel. This was very apparent last night!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat May 2nd, 2009, 4:05 pm

That's great Ash. Good teachers are a blessing beyond measure. I will always be thankful to my oldest's Kindergarten teacher. She was so patient with him and he adored her until he "outgrew" the association. There's a good chance she'll be my daughter's teacher in a few years too.

My best thing (from yesterday really) is finding out that we have a flower here that I haven't seen in years. It's like a tiny white violet with this soft, sweet scent to it. Sometimes it's the really little things that make your day.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat May 2nd, 2009, 4:13 pm

[quote=""Ash""]
I saw a quote once: they might not remember what you said, but they'll never forget how you made them feel. This was very apparent last night![/quote]

How rewarding and uplifting Ash. Good teachers are priceless and they do leave a lashing mark on people's lives. I might never have the job I do now if it wasn't for my teacher Mrs Robinson in Scotland who turned me onto history.

MLE - a lynx kitten - how fantastic!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat May 2nd, 2009, 5:32 pm

I have a lasting mark from one of my teachers, not a good one though. When I was about 10 or 9 I did something that really upset my teacher, can't remember what but she pulled me out of the room very hard and dug one of her very long finger nails into my right wrist. I still have a white scar from it on my wrist.

Another teacher and at a different school made me stand in a garbage can with a dunce cap on it front of the class.

With that, the lack of any real friends and the constant harrassement I got from the students at every school I went to it, is it any wonder I hated school?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat May 2nd, 2009, 6:12 pm

Ash, you deserve your high. And thanks from all the parents who had difficult kids. My youngest (severe ADHD, a classroom nightmare) had a couple teachers like you, and although that didn't stop him from making some very stupid choices as a teenager, the good influences lasted enough to work him through the hard solutions into a productive adulthood.

Return to “Chat”