Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lauryn's Log 2009

What have you read in 2009? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Lauryn
Reader

Lauryn's Log 2009

Post by Lauryn » Wed April 22nd, 2009, 4:31 pm

I'm not going to kill myself trying to remember the books I read from January till now, although if I ever get around to shelving what's on the floor, that might be a good indicator :D

Just finished SKP's The Sunne in Splendour. I love SKP's work, even this one, but I always end up feeling more than a little devastated at the end of it.

Moved onto Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer. I have now got the boxed set, so the other three are on my TBR pile.

:rolleyes: Also on my TBR pile - materials for my demonstration appraisal report. Sigh I wish this would finish so I can get on with more interesting stuff.
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Mon April 27th, 2009, 6:48 am

Somehow got a good chunk of the never-ending report done, plus read all 4 of the Twilight Saga books. (It's Monday tomorrow, can I sleep?)

Dithering about what to read next. Maybe my go-to spring read, Thornyhold, by Mary Stewart.

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Wed April 29th, 2009, 11:20 pm

Thornyhold, by Mary Stewart - check! This is such a gentle story, that I can read it in an evening, and feel lightly refreshed by it - much like an evening spent in the garden doing not much. I think what I like most about it is the sense of homecoming it offers.

Now onto Anne Perry's Paragon Walk - my parents visited recently, and the book swap continues!

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed April 29th, 2009, 11:41 pm

I really like your description of Thornyhold, Lauryn. I think Stewart's Rose Cottage has a similar feel as well. If you haven't read it, you may want to for another gentle read.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Thu April 30th, 2009, 1:49 am

Thanks for the reference! Being a residential appraiser by day, I have discovered a real affinity for houses, and am seeing quite a few ways to make a home - which is quite a bit of difference.

So, adding Rose Cottage to my TBR pile! :)

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Sat May 9th, 2009, 12:45 am

Currently, I have two on the go.

One is for brain candy - Marsha Canham's The Pride of Lions. It has a plot, which the other one does not: Norman Cantor's The Medieval Reader. I'm browsing my way through this one, which is an anthology of writing by medieval personages, and a real gem!

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2009”