Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sara Donati

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue March 24th, 2009, 9:17 am

There's a new excerpt here.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed April 29th, 2009, 3:21 am

Official release date for The Endless Forest is 26 January, and there is a cover image here.

I am not all that sold on the cover but others seem to like it.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed April 29th, 2009, 9:40 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]Official release date for The Endless Forest is 26 January, and there is a cover image here.

I am not all that sold on the cover but others seem to like it.[/quote]

I'm not sold either. Perhaps the comments about liking it are there because it would be rude to say 'yuk' on the author's blog, or perhaps it's just that we have different tastes. :cool:
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed April 29th, 2009, 10:46 am

I am going with the former!

Edith Wharton

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed April 29th, 2009, 12:41 pm

To me the cover says more "YA historical fantasy" than historical fiction; it's the bright color combination and the filmy/ethereal look of the forest backdrop that does it.

The woman's pose reminds me of the cover of Jane Feather's Beloved Enemy.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed April 29th, 2009, 12:49 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]To me the cover says more "YA historical fantasy" than historical fiction; it's the bright color combination and the filmy/ethereal look of the forest backdrop that does it.

The woman's pose reminds me of the cover of Jane Feather's Beloved Enemy.[/quote]

Ariadne, it's the same picture turned round and photo shopped isn't it?!!

I've looked at the Donati again but clicked to enlarge and I actually like it a lot better full size. It still slightly reminds me of an old fashioned UK saga cover, but it is much more personable when bigged up.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed April 29th, 2009, 1:02 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Ariadne, it's the same picture turned round and photo shopped isn't it?!![/quote]

I have a copy of the Feather and grabbed it to compare! While the images are very close, I don't think it's the same picture; the woman's body shape is different and the folds on the gown and shawl don't match. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was used as a model. I bought the Feather based on the cover art... it's much more attractive than many historical romance covers I've seen. Donati's name alone will sell the book, but this cover will help a lot too!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed April 29th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Posted by Ariadne
The woman's pose reminds me of the cover of Jane Feather's Beloved Enemy.
Jane Feather's "Beloved Enemy" is one of my favourite historical romances - her "Widow's Kiss" is another :) (though i wasn't so keen on the others in that series.)

The blog replies were a bit of a gush-fest, weren't they?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed April 29th, 2009, 8:35 pm

I guess the cover art doesn't really matter to me. I will be getting it regardless of what the cover looks like.

Edith Wharton

greenery
Scribbler

Post by greenery » Thu May 21st, 2009, 11:26 pm

I'm afraid that gush-fests are almost de rigeur on author weblogs. I try to encourage constructive criticism, but with limited success.

Given some of the truly fugly, awful covers I've been saddled with over the last ten years (someday I'l post a couple on the weblog), I was thrilled with this one. Also with the re-issue cover for Into the Wilderness. But of course my take on this is very subjective.

Return to “America”