Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pets, Pets, Whose Got Pets?!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu September 4th, 2008, 11:19 pm

[quote=""1lila1""]

Then there's Gibson, a blue F3 Savannah, who is almost two. He's the smartest cat I know and does nothing without throughly analyzing it first. He's very talkative and I love our "morning conversations" over coffee!

And my Marshall! We lovingly refer to him as our "big galoof" as he's not the most coordinated kitty out there, lol! He's an F2 Savannah, has a heart of gold, and weighs 21tall lean pounds yet still he does whatever his bossy big brothers tell him to do. He is a total love and is the most affectionate cat I've ever known!

They're my babies and couldn't imagine my life without them!![/quote]

What do F2 and F3 mean in regard to your cats? In camelids, that would refer to the generation since the original outcross.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu September 4th, 2008, 11:41 pm

Brilliant reading about everyone's menagerie. Jasper is obviously a popular name. Our old tabby cat - approximately 18, is called Jasper. Then we have Dottie who's 12 and Taz the rescue mongrel (some sort of small collie cross) who's 10. He sleeps in the bottom of the built in wardrobe and every night he carries his teddy in there and his bone if he happens to have one - all that's precious to him in the world. The cats sleep in the kitchen because they have access then to the cat flap. Oh, and we have three large tanks of tropical fish!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri September 5th, 2008, 12:27 am

[quote=""MLE""]What do F2 and F3 mean in regard to your cats? In camelids, that would refer to the generation since the original outcross.[/quote]

Yes, the F stands for the generation away from the serval. Savannahs are a domestic hybrid of the African Serval, like a Bengal is a hybrid of an Asian Leopard Cat. My boys are early generation foundation cats, meaning that they that they are not far from the original serval outcross. They are part of the stock that's building the breed, but the catch is that only the females are fertile until at least 5-6 generations away from the Serval so the males are pet cats. And they make absolutely wonderful loving pets!!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri September 5th, 2008, 5:39 am

Right now, all we have is Mewsashi, aka Mu the Terrible. I think he's the short-hair variety of the Turkish Van. He's polydactyl, and at times too clever for his own good. He has a cream coloured body, reddish points like a Siamese, and big blue eyes. He's a real lover, and about 12 years old.

I rescued him from the shelter, when he was a catling, and he was crying and crying in his cage. I walked over, and he immediately silenced and started reaching for me. When I walked away, and he couldn't see me, the howls started up. I went back, and he was again purring and trying to get to me. Again, I tried to leave the room, and he started up again. That settled it, it was obvious he had picked me, and I adopted him on the spot.

J's cat, Jake, we had to put to sleep earlier this year, as he was developing complications from the diabetes, and there wasn't much that the vet could do -- but Jakey had a long, long life, and made it to 18 years. We still miss him terribly. Mu has since become terribly clinging to me, and is clearly depressed.

I also had a Siamese, Bushiko aka the World's Meanest Cat, for close to fifteen years. She was clearly a one person cat, and she hated everyone but me. I could pick her up and she would immediately cuddle in, but woe betide anyone else who tried to pet her!

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Fri September 5th, 2008, 1:03 pm

My sealpoint siamese, Kona, is extraordinarily shy and very much a one person cat, as well. Whenever anyone comes in the house, he'll bolt for a hidey hole and will not emerge until visitors have left. This can take a few days in the case of house guests.

If I catch him prior to bolting and hold him to show guests, then he's so full of uncontrollable panic and struggles so to be free that I don't have the heart to force him to overcome his shyness. He's never been mean though. He'll go 'cat'atonic before he'll turn mean.

Siamese are definitely a unique breed.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri September 5th, 2008, 10:16 pm

I've always felt that cats have a real link to those of us who are readers. After all, it's a quiet, solitary activity, and cats like that. Mu just loves it when I curl up in bed to read.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat September 6th, 2008, 12:40 am

[quote=""Telynor""]I've always felt that cats have a real link to those of us who are readers. After all, it's a quiet, solitary activity, and cats like that. Mu just loves it when I curl up in bed to read.[/quote]

Well I envy you. I try to do that and Misfit the kittycat is up and down jumping on my chest in front of the book to have a knead fest (purr purr), down, up knead (purr purr) and down, up knead (purr purr) , down, up knead (purr purr), down, up knead (purr purr). I finally give up and move to the couch and she walks across the book and goes for the furry purry knead thing again.

Can anyone say pestiferous nuisance? Oh well, I love her to bits anyway :p

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat September 6th, 2008, 1:03 am

Jasper, my dog, will either lie down beside me on the bed, or at the end of the bed when I'm reading.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Judith
Scribbler

Post by Judith » Wed September 10th, 2008, 1:33 am

Two Shetland sheepdogs. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed September 10th, 2008, 2:07 am

[quote=""Judith""]Two Shetland sheepdogs. :) [/quote]

Nice doggies!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “Chat”