Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Do You Read the Notes In Nonfiction Books?

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 9:58 pm

I do read the notes, ibids and all - the first time through the book. My librarian mother would be appalled, but in the cases where an end note is clearly worth the reading, I circle the note marker in the main body, and put a bronze line marker on the end-note for easy future reference. For "ibids," I just cross the note marker off as being largely irrelevant for future consumption. This means that the next time I read my copy of a NF reference book, I know when to ignore the end note, when it is strictly bibliographical, and when it is truly informative.

(The book darts also come in handy when HF authors include a lot of useful family trees or maps, or something else I'm likely to be referring to frequently while reading.)

Hmm, Santa seems to know my books are littered with these things - a tin of them shows up in my stocking almost every year :D .
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

Return to “Historical Nonfiction/Biography”