Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Holy Crap! Sarah Palin to be McCain's VP pick

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:02 pm

I think some of the media surrounding the Palin/daughter pregnant issue is that this is happening (in the limelight) in the more conservative party, which generally preaches abstinence, etc. I do believe if this had happened in the democratic party, the talk would've been about "loose liberal values". It is what it is and she and her family will be dealing with this the rest of their lives. Hopefully they and the baby will be healthy and grounded in the long run.

Let me preface my next statement by saying I view myself as a moderate but definitely lean more left than right. I'm also a SAHM of three elementary school age kids. I actually believe it is IMPOSSIBLE to have it all. Five kids, a newborn with Down Syndrome, a pregnant, unwed teen - these need more than a nanny or part time Mom. Someone will be short changed, either her kids or the country. I also don't believe a Dad running for office will be able to be the best Dad he could be. Is he going to coach his kids soccer team? be there for all the little moments like recitals and programs? Either he's going to miss a lot of those or he'll be rescheduling meetings with heads of state.

Kids need both parents around for the short time they're kids. Yes, I realize there are always exceptions (I happen to be one of those - child of a nasty divorce, alcoholic stepdad, bipolar mom, etc). I just personally believe that Palin's little baby would benefit much more from being held by his/her Mom than another caregiver. Just my opinion (and I'm sticking to it ;) )
Last edited by tsjmom on Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu September 4th, 2008, 6:37 am

I watched the Republican Convention tonight, including Palin's speech. Yikes is all I can say! And 'ol Dubya talks about the angry LEFT? :confused:
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu September 4th, 2008, 6:46 am

[quote=""1lila1""]I watched the Republican Convention tonight, including Palin's speech. Yikes is all I can say! And 'ol Dubya talks about the angry LEFT? :confused: [/quote]

Scary wasn't it? What frightens me is that a lot of the Republicans are thoroughly convinced that they are right, and they will go to nearly any lengths to prove it to everyone else (I still feel that Bush II stole the last two elections). Just keep telling yourself that the real power is still with the voters, and that it does matter who you vote into Congress. At least that's what I'm trying to tell myself...

I am so thoroughly disgusted with the campaign. Nov. 4th can't get here soon enough.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:06 am

Ugh, I know! Right now I'm just proud to be the with the party of "One America" instead of the hate-filled divisive vitriole I saw tonight. I was actually looking forward to Palin's speech as I think women in prominent positions, regardless of political leanings, are good for women everywhere....clearly there are exceptions to every rule!

On the other hand, if the worst happens and McCain wins, he probably won't make it for another term and then we'll have Sarah Palin vs. Hillary Clinton in 2012. Now THAT'S a race I'd be interested in seeing!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu September 4th, 2008, 11:36 am

oh, that would be interesting!

I didnt find it hateful, just more of the same. Saw it on both sides really.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Thu September 4th, 2008, 4:24 pm

[quote=""1lila1""]
On the other hand, if the worst happens and McCain wins, he probably won't make it for another term [/quote]

That's what I thought was going to happen with W :(

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu September 4th, 2008, 9:06 pm

I dont think Mc Cain would make it a second term. I know thats not nice to say, but it is what it is, and the man is old, a pow, and well old.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri September 5th, 2008, 2:35 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]Scary wasn't it? What frightens me is that a lot of the Republicans are thoroughly convinced that they are right, and they will go to nearly any lengths to prove it to everyone else (I still feel that Bush II stole the last two elections). Just keep telling yourself that the real power is still with the voters, and that it does matter who you vote into Congress. At least that's what I'm trying to tell myself...

I am so thoroughly disgusted with the campaign. Nov. 4th can't get here soon enough.[/quote]

Excellent post....Ms./Mrs Palin....While running for Mayor....she tried without success to have several books banned from the local library....When elected there was controversy with the Librarian leaving under pressure...She attended six colleges before finally graduating from the University of Utah....Very Odd.....Her acceptance speech reminded me of a monologue.....Can't wait to hear what the "First Dude" has to say....maybe he will discuss why he wanted Alaska to secede from the U.S..."We have met the enemy and the enemy is us" ...Pogo

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Fri September 5th, 2008, 4:57 pm

As a wag said, I would for her to ban one of my books. Ah, the publicity....

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri September 5th, 2008, 5:58 pm

Have to say I'm with Divia on a few points. 1) no one would be telling Mr. Palin he should stay home with his family; 2) just more of the same from both parties--spewing the same cookie-cutter lies.

Republicans say the Democrats are against ending our dependence on foreign oil, while the Democrats say the Republicans are against it.

What's really scary isn't that the conservatives believe they're right and they'll go to any lengths to prove it. What's really scary is that both sides are like that. And both sides are playing with millions of lives.

Like her or hate her, Palin is no worse a choice for McCain than Biden is for Obama. Liberals don't like her. So what? Conservatives don't like Biden. It's only an issue if something happens to the president, and the VP takes over. Admittedly McCain's age is a factor, but it's still terribly unlikely that he would die in office.

I like Obama. I like McCain. I'm not thrilled with their VP choices, but I'm not surprised either. I think McCain's campaign is doing a fairly lousy job, but Obama's isn't a sterling example of marketing prowess either. I'll probably make up my mind after I step into the booth. But I really, truly, deeply believe we're sunk either way. Call me a pessimist (and I am one) but we can't avoid reality forever. The United States of America's day in the sun is over.

The only question left is whether we go out with a bang or quietly fade to insignificance.

But yes, a Palin/Hilary race would be interesting.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”