Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun April 19th, 2009, 12:15 am

[quote=""Divia""]Please write a review for The Virgin's Tale. It sounds interesting, but since no one has heard about it I wonder how good it is.[/quote]

Divia, I gave it a try but couldn't get past the first 25 pages. It's not for me. I found the writing style simplistic and awkward, and the many bizarre metaphors had me shaking my head. There were also a number of grammatical errors. *sigh* Oh well, back to the TBR for something else.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun April 19th, 2009, 1:49 pm

Ralph Turner's new biography of Eleanor of Aquitaine.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun April 19th, 2009, 2:08 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Ralph Turner's new biography of Eleanor of Aquitaine.[/quote]

I'll be interested to know what you think Boswell. I have his biography of King John and I am not impressed when compared to the likes of Painter and Warren.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Mon April 20th, 2009, 12:49 am

Susan Higginbotham's "The Traitor's Wife" just came in the mail, in paperback. Such a pretty cover, I can hardly wait to dig in! :D
Last edited by Spitfire on Mon April 20th, 2009, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon April 20th, 2009, 2:00 am

[quote=""Spitfire""]Susan Higginbotham's "The Traitor's Wife" just came in the mail, in paperback. Such a pretty cover, I can hardly wait to dig in! :D [/quote]

I bought that a few weeks ago. Haven't gotten into it yet.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue April 21st, 2009, 4:49 am

Got caught up in BookCloseouts.com: Bought Susannah Dunn's The Queen's Sorrow and Christie Dickason's The Principessa.

And my recent soujourn to BookDepository yeilded Karen Maitland's The Owl Killers, pre-order of Vanora Bennet's latest and Robyn Young's last in her Templar series.

At my local Borders, I got the following research books: Renaissance Society in Rome and Basilica by R.A. Scotti, which I reviewed for HNS and then misplaced the galley. I also ordered a book on the Borgias, which I'll pick up next week.

Good thing I still have space on the floor . . .
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue April 21st, 2009, 12:01 pm

I picked up Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry and Her Only Desire by Gaelen Foley from the library near work today. Normally I don't go there, but my normal library didn't have either book.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue April 21st, 2009, 12:57 pm

Turns out I already own a copy of Lonesome Dove! Whoops! I was just tearing apart my bookshelves looking for a different book for a colleague at work. Couldn't find the one I was looking for, because I think my brother has it, but did find LD!

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed April 22nd, 2009, 11:14 am

I wen tto the library and picked up a load of books tonight! I also then needed to figure out how to create a slideshow to put on my sister's craft blog, so I did a slideshow of the book covers. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working here, so I will have to just list them!

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom DVD
The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear
The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman
Tomorrow when the War Began by John Marsden (audio book)
The Terror by Dan Simmons
The Boat by Nam Le
Last edited by diamondlil on Wed April 22nd, 2009, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edith Wharton

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Wed April 22nd, 2009, 4:02 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]At my local Borders, I got the following research books: Renaissance Society in Rome and Basilica by R.A. Scotti, which I reviewed for HNS and then misplaced the galley. I also ordered a book on the Borgias, which I'll pick up next week.

Good thing I still have space on the floor . . .[/quote]

I'm interested in the book on the Borgias. Keep us posted.

I'm trying to be good and I've decided that I am going to try to go a full week without buying at least one book. Next week maybe as this week I got a signed hardcover copy of Reza Aslan's new book even though I had an arc of it already. It's just impossible to resist an adorkable socio-political genius who is willing to personalize his work and chat about Jon Stewart for a half hour or more.

Return to “Archives”