Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri April 10th, 2009, 3:03 pm

Oh, Nona, that's terrible. Try not to think about who's next. And if your job stays, try not to have survivor guilt.

Ludmilla, my kids are on break too. Wish I could take a week off!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri April 10th, 2009, 8:03 pm

[quote=""nona""]no warning no nothing! yesterday after a year of saying 'oh don't worry we won't lay off' out of the blue we all come back from lunch and they call a meeting for everyone, 400-ish people, and announce they are letting go of 166 people :eek: thats almost half the people working there. and yet they're still hiring :confused: so now I'm freaking out . what if I'm next?[/quote]

It does seem strange to be hiring and firing at the same time! Fingers crossed that your job is safe. It is such a worrying time.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri April 10th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Waking up at 5.45am ... on a Saturday!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat April 11th, 2009, 12:12 pm

Finding out this morning that a dear friend of mine online has passed away. I knew she was very ill, but still, it was a shock.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sat April 11th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Telynor, that is sad. *hugs*

Nona, dont freak out, life is too short to worry on something that may not happen.

Marg, Its a pain isnt it! I woke at 6.30!

My worst thing: hubby is poorly. Looks like tonsillitus. He was so looking forward to having a few days off work and he is spending it in bed or on the sofa. And to make matters worse he is now getting short tempered! Grrr!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat April 11th, 2009, 5:58 pm

So sorry to learn of your news, Telynor. Very sad, indeed.

I'm never allowed to sleep in much longer than about 6.30am - one of my dogs barks and barks as soon as it's light!! Perhaps earplugs could be a good thing. LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun April 12th, 2009, 12:01 am

Condolences, Telynor.

My red head got me up at 2:30 AM. Went back to bed at 4. Kids have been nuts off and on all day. Managed to get a sliver in my hand while raking the front yard.

I think the worst part though was trying to explain to Ben that he can't have the T-ball set the kids next door were playing with. He was asking so nicely for "ball please." My parents bought him a set so we won't have to go through that again.

If we can just hang on for one more day they go back to school on Monday!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon April 13th, 2009, 1:52 am

My sister drives me crazy sometimes!

She calls and tells mom she has a 17 month old baby boy but won't say what kind (human, animal, what have you). She says she'll send images to my phone, but they haven't shown up yet and she won't explain it to us. So now I have to wait till tomorrow when she can send me an email at her work. It's just Freaking Annoying!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue April 14th, 2009, 1:55 am

The "baby boy" my sister has is a Min Pin (miniature pincher) that's 17 weeks old named Ghandi.

My all time favourite band, Duran Duran, is coming to Redmond, WA on July 5th, tickets go on sale Sat, that would be great news EXCEPT!...

Sat is July 4th, a holiday, there are no buses on Vashon on holidays, and the next day is Sun and there are no buses on Sun either! I'm trapped on the island! I don't have anyone who can take me to the ferry! Living on this island sucks a lot!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue April 14th, 2009, 2:05 am

Sonja, don't they sell tickets online?

My migraines are back.

Return to “Chat”