Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pat's reads..

What have you read in 2008? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
pat
Avid Reader

Pat's reads..

Post by pat » Thu September 4th, 2008, 5:18 am

I will try and keep this upto date!

Late August - September:

Rachel's Holiday, Marian Keys 3/5
Humerous tale of a young Irish girl who enters rehab thinking she is normal and has no problems. Honest...it is funny but with a serious message!

Pomegranate Soup, Marsha Mehran 4/5
Three sisters escape from Iran to eventually find themselves in a small Irish town opening a cafe serving their own brand of food. Shows the problems of outsiders and also gives the recepies!

The Shadow of the Pomegranate, Jean Plaidy 4/5
Katherine of Aragon, trying to concieve a son for Henry and keep her throne.
Last edited by pat on Thu September 4th, 2008, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu September 4th, 2008, 6:03 am

Pomegranate Soup sounds interesting! Another book for the TBR

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Thu September 4th, 2008, 11:13 am

[quote=""Telynor""]Pomegranate Soup sounds interesting! Another book for the TBR[/quote]
It is interesting! You get the feel of the locals not wanting these foreign women in their area! I have not tried the recepies, but they sound wonderful!

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Thu September 11th, 2008, 5:00 am

Just finished a lite chic lit:

Last chance saloon, Marian Keyes 3/4
This was a good relief read. It focused on three Irish friends who move to London, one gay guy and two girls. As the story unfolds there are sub plots and laughs! One girl is on a quest to find the perfect lipstick that stays put!

I am now back on HF, thanks to EC!!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu September 11th, 2008, 5:02 am

That is one of my favourite Marian Keyes books. It might have something to do with the fact that it was one of my first MK reads, but I think it would stand up to a reread.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 4:26 am

The Winter Mantle by EC 5/5
Really enjoyed this one as it was set in my home county's of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire. EC really brings her characters to life. And apparently I played Judith in a school pageant.....

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 9:59 pm

[quote=""pat""]It is interesting! You get the feel of the locals not wanting these foreign women in their area! I have not tried the recepies, but they sound wonderful![/quote]

You're right, it is a gorgeous book, and I intend to get the sequel soon. The recipes look to be very good too -- I love persian food, and these look simple enough that I could actually make them. Thank you for bringing it up, I would have never thought of it otherwise.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Wed September 24th, 2008, 4:19 am

[quote=""Telynor""]You're right, it is a gorgeous book, and I intend to get the sequel soon. The recipes look to be very good too -- I love persian food, and these look simple enough that I could actually make them. Thank you for bringing it up, I would have never thought of it otherwise.[/quote]

Thank you!

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Wed September 24th, 2008, 4:21 am

The Other Queen, by PG I am afraid to say this went back to the library today....unfinished. WHat a let down. I had hoped for a good read but by page 50 I was only reading it to bide time till I got back to the library.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Thu October 2nd, 2008, 10:58 am

Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin 4/5

Fantastic read if you ike dance and China! I have posted a review.

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2008”