Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 4:52 pm

[quote=""nona""]yesterday I donated blood at work, they come by every three months or so and I always donate kinda a memory of a passed love one thing. It's my 12th time, I have never got sick or anything and they ask me to do a double unit, I said sure why not.

45 minutes later...

as I was finishing up I passed out and they said my body temp dropped 6 degrees they freaked out so I was told. three hours of laying down and two waters and three gatorades and of course the crackers they forced me to eat I was up...to going home.[/quote]

I was telling this to my son's g/f who's in the middle of doing a nursing degree and is also a blood donor. She said that in the UK taking a double unit is unheard of. It's one unit and that's the lot. You can donate once every 3 months. She was a bit horrified to know they'd taken two!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 5:17 pm

it's called 2RBCP, they take the red blood cells and something else while giving back your plasma, it takes about 45 minutes once they get their tubes and so forth and yeah you cannot donate again for 116 days or something like that. I'm off the donating market for now.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 5:29 pm

[quote=""nona""]it's called 2RBCP, they take the red blood cells and something else while giving back your plasma, it takes about 45 minutes once they get their tubes and so forth and yeah you cannot donate again for 116 days or something like that. I'm off the donating market for now.[/quote]

Ah, right, that's different then. I wonder why you had an adverse reaction this time around!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 6:31 pm

no idea why, although I've stopped drinking all caffine, my sweet tea too, and for lunch yesterday after a week or so of no caffine I had a coke, it's all they had maybe that triggered it then the blood lose intensified it who knows, it wont stop me from doing it again I'll just wait 6-9 months :D

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 6:37 pm

Wow, Nona, glad you're okay! My husband's mother is still alive only because of the twice-weekly transfusions she received for a year. Know that people are very, very grateful to all you who donate!

Rest up. :)
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 10:08 pm

We've got another virus going through the family just in time for Spring Break. Boys will be home all next week.

Also I've been bitten by the Ebay bug.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 8th, 2009, 11:37 pm

Came home after a loooong day at work to the joy of finding kitty barf - in the bed no less. I suppose it could have been worse, I could have come home at 10PM ready to crawl into bed and found it. :o :)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu April 9th, 2009, 1:02 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Came home after a loooong day at work to the joy of finding kitty barf - in the bed no less. I suppose it could have been worse, I could have come home at 10PM ready to crawl into bed and found it. :o :) [/quote] LOL! A hair ball would have been a bit less messy. And I have found 'the worse' before. I came in late one night (or early in the morning) and found 'the worse' on top of my bed because I left the litter box in the garage, away from the cats. They taught me my lesson well - I haven't left the box out there where they couldn't reach it since then. Part of 'the worse' was mostly absorbed by the comforter, so that went prompty into the wash. Thanks for bringing back the memories! :)
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu April 9th, 2009, 1:19 am

[quote=""Leyland""]LOL! A hair ball would have been a bit less messy. And I have found 'the worse' before. I came in late one night (or early in the morning) and found 'the worse' on top of my bed because I left the litter box in the garage, away from the cats. They taught me my lesson well - I haven't left the box out there where they couldn't reach it since then. Part of 'the worse' was mostly absorbed by the comforter, so that went prompty into the wash. Thanks for bringing back the memories! :) [/quote]

hehe, the tortures they put you through if the litter box issues aren't up to snuff, eh? Misfit the kittycat refused for the longest time to accept the newest version of the littermaid - had to break down and get an old fashioned style box. Bless her heart though, when I was injured and not up to kitty box scooping she decided to accept it and I was able to do away with the other.

The bright side, at least I now have nice fresh sheets to crawl into tonight at bedtime. :)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu April 9th, 2009, 10:00 am

I think I overdid it today kicking the footy around at our staff picnic today. It was fun, but I am paying for it now with sore muscles!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”