Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pets, Pets, Whose Got Pets?!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Pets, Pets, Whose Got Pets?!

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:07 pm

Ok group, what kind of pet(s) do you have?

We have a dog, Jasper, he's part Cocker Spaniel, part Pomeranian, called a Cockeranian and all fur and fuzz!

He's a rescue dog, I think he was abused as a young dog because he rail thin, hardly made a nose and ever nose/movement would scare him when we got him. He still gets nervous when things show up in his path or near him that he doesn't recognize and he sometimes gets a little testy if you pet or touch his sides too much (like he may have been kicked there and remembers it.) But he's just the loveist little puddle of puppy fur and adores his human pack and we adore him!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Spitfire
Reader

Post by Spitfire » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:15 pm

I'm owned by two dogs and two cats. I have a Labridale cross ( 1/2 Labradore retriever and 1/2 airedale terrier) Basically a big black lab with a red moustache and beard...hilarious, his name is Bruce. We inherrited a big white mongrel of a dog from friends who moved to a no pets townhome. He looks like Dennis the Mennace's dog, you know in the cartoons? His name is Chewy (Short for Chewbacca) I have two black calico cats. One very old lady named Jasper and a new kitty named pepper who absolutely loves my dogs. Hugs and kisses and grooms them every day. So, cute! Plus my 7 llamas that keep all the grass down in our pastures, who all come when we call them and give kisses, hoping to get some kibble.
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:17 pm

You have a female cat named Jasper? Nice! We once had a basement cat named Richard, she had 4 legs and 3 paws (lost one of her paws in a fight). I never knew why she had been named Richard but she taught me how to meow like a cat, I can still get them to meow at me when I meet one.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Juniper
Scribbler
Interest in HF: I studied English Literature and History at college. Historical fiction blends my two passions together in one neat package.

Post by Juniper » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:19 pm

I have a 7 month old cocker spaniel called Max. Can you spot him anywhere? :p

Mara
Scribbler

Post by Mara » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:41 pm

We have two cats, Bob's a semi-longhair black & white foundling (who's limping with a sore paw today awww), and Tiger's a golden tabby. He's our baby, at 4 yrs old! :D

My in-laws have 4 black Scottie terriers. As they live near Loch Ness, they often end up in front of tourists' lenses!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:49 pm

Right now I just have Misfit the kittycat. I had another, Nicky who I adopted in December but he went ill very fast a couple of weeks ago and I had him put to sleep. Eventually I'll find another.

Misfit has a little tiny itty bit of a feral kitten who was lost in our warehouse about six years ago. We didn't even know she was there until the guys started finding kitty poop in the stucco mix. :eek: :p :D

Anyway, we finally trapped her and expected her to be forever grateful for coming to her rescue but being feral we were the enemy. The plan had been to have her neutered and put back out into the wild, but she was too cute and we didn't have the heart. Eventually we socialized her and I took her home, and is quite a loving little puss. She still does go to the beat of a different drummer, hence the name :o

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:52 pm

Boswell, my avatar, a cairn terrier. (My parents liked him so much they went to the breeder and bought his brother.) Three cats: Ginny, Stripes, and Onslow. Poor Baxter, our senior cat, died last year, but he has a place in my user ID!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:56 pm

Ahh, pets ... maintaining a Wild Kingdom is as necessary as keeping a permanent library! I have three pests.

Kona - a sealpoint siamese (a traditional or applehead like Piewacket, but smaller)
Kai - a lynx point snowshoe siamese (aka Greedy Guts - he's a big boy)
Lucy - a tricolor cocker spaniel (the baby at one year and almost five months)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 9:23 pm

We have two English Springer Spaniels called Sidney and Alfred, two cats called Harry and Hermione (don't blame me, my daughter named them!) and a hamster called Humphrey. All with totally different personalities.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 9:53 pm

We have two standard poodles, mom and 4-month-old son. Niffler is my faithful hiking companion, and she is sternly teaching her son all the necessary skills of life, which include protecting the owner, ignoring cats and llamas, and hunting gophers.
Since this question was asked on the old forum, I must report the demise of my guard-geese to foxes and old age. Also poor old Onyx the cat, who drifted off while snoozing in his favorite place -- feels odd to be catless about the home place, altho my daughter/son-in-law, who live out where we keep the extra llamas, have two cats that are amazing fly-catchers.
We have only five llamas now (since '81 we have had over 200), just the two old packer friends I use for my PR and speaking engagements and the up-and-coming replacements. But the daughter/son-in-law have acquired horses, one of whom, Magic, seems to think she is a 'lap horse'. I got the dh riding lessons for his birthday, so I won't have to be the one to correct his technique. Plus on and off we care for a retired friend's donkey.

Return to “Chat”