Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book shopping today ...

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 21st, 2009, 4:08 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Talking about Amazon? Mine has my nickname, known only to friends and family.[/quote]

Yes, Amazon. I don't know what the catch is, it sometimes (but not always) picks up the person's name and city from the delivery address and once it got there I couldn't find a way to change the settings to reverse it. You can tell for sure by signing out of your account and looking at it as anyone else would. If you're name is there I'd keep it private. I only use mine for books I'm thinking about reading and looking at more closely at a later date anyone so it doesn't matter.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat March 21st, 2009, 5:02 pm

also bought the Princes in the Tower by Alison Weir, couldn't decide so bought both.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat March 21st, 2009, 9:20 pm

A surprise today at the Ren Fair - they have a book shop (or shoppe....)! The owner is Ann Chamberlin, who wrote the Dame Frevisse series (English Medival Mysteries). She had several used books, but also had hers. Picked up Sofia, set in Turkey during the Ottoman Empire. Also discovered that she lives in SLC and it was fun to talk about the places and people there. Anyway, anyone read her before? I told her about this place and encouraged her to jump on in.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat March 21st, 2009, 9:53 pm

Is Margaret Frazer a pen-name, then? Yes, I've read quite a few of the "Dame Frevisse" mysteries and enjoyed them. Here's hoping she does join the forum.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun March 22nd, 2009, 12:39 am

well I watched Twilight with my husband to see what all the fuss was about, it ended 20 minutes ago and I'm a proud own of the box set in hardcover as of 5 minutes ago thanks to amazon :D I couldn't help myself, I have to know what happens next and the second movie doesn't come out till next fall or winter.

I know, I know, I said I would never read something like this again once Anne Rice went Catholic on me but man I was wrong, I admit it.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun March 22nd, 2009, 6:31 am

I picked up Mistress of the Sun by Sandra Gulland from the library (again!). Hopefully this time I might actually read it!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun March 22nd, 2009, 2:22 pm

I've just ordered Kate Emerson's The Pleasure Palace from Amazon after reading Misfit's review.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun March 22nd, 2009, 6:53 pm

I bought Susan Carroll's Dark Queen triology from someone here locally and will pick them up tomorrow after work, not at the top of my wish list but $10 for all three brand new never read I couldn't pass'em up.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun March 22nd, 2009, 7:04 pm

[quote=""annis""]Is Margaret Frazer a pen-name, then? Yes, I've read quite a few of the "Dame Frevisse" mysteries and enjoyed them. Here's hoping she does join the forum.[/quote]

So I am confused - is Margaret Frazer and Gail Chamberlin the same person?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun March 22nd, 2009, 7:32 pm

[quote=""nona""]I bought Susan Carroll's Dark Queen triology from someone here locally and will pick them up tomorrow after work, not at the top of my wish list but $10 for all three brand new never read I couldn't pass'em up.[/quote]

I really enjoyed that trilogy. I really need to hurry up and read The Huntress, which is connected to the trilogy.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Archives”