Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Holy Crap! Sarah Palin to be McCain's VP pick

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 12:43 am

[quote=""donroc""]Let's face it. If Palin were a Democrat, she would receive the Helen Reddy Award. It seems the media "feminists" approve only if one is a liberal by their standards.

Hypocracy Award contest is now on.[/quote]

That's a completely false accusation!! I'm as liberal as they come and I think that saying she should be home with her kids and is a bad mother for being a politician right now is absolutely repulsive and inexcusable. In the history of this country it is the Liberals who have consistently stood up for women's rights. Maybe a few people are saying such idiotic things but it's not the general consensus of liberals everywhere at all. And as far as "media feminists" go, have you watched Fox or MSNBC lately????
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 1:12 am

Yes, and have you seen CNN and read Dowd and Fleming?

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 2:53 am

some of my friends said that she has too many kids and that she should have had some abortions. I thought that was an odd statement.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 4:29 am

She doesn't seem too fond of the First Amendment. From today's New York Times:
Shortly after becoming mayor, former city officials and Wasilla residents said, Ms. Palin approached the town librarian about the possibility of banning some books, though she never followed through and it was unclear which books or passages were in question.

Ann Kilkenny, a Democrat who said she attended every City Council meeting in Ms. Palin’s first year in office, said Ms. Palin brought up the idea of banning some books at one meeting. “They were somehow morally or socially objectionable to her,” Ms. Kilkenny said.

The librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, pledged to “resist all efforts at censorship,” Ms. Kilkenny recalled. Ms. Palin fired Ms. Emmons shortly after taking office but changed course after residents made a strong show of support. Ms. Emmons, who left her job and Wasilla a couple of years later, declined to comment for this article.

In 1996, Ms. Palin suggested to the local paper, The Frontiersman, that the conversations about banning books were “rhetorical.”
Wonder what former librarian Laura Bush thinks of her?
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Eyza
Scribbler

Post by Eyza » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 4:42 am

Ash:

I agree with you on that. Besides, nobody nowadays really cares whether a 17 year old girl gets pregnant and has a baby. Kids with too many horrmones do it all the time, though I have the distinct impression that any relationship between her and the father of the child is going to be a disaster. But that's her problem. Not the country's. And you're right. There's plenty of "stuff" about Palin(among other things, she doesn't think the ice is melting or that polar bears are in trouble, and that's just for starters), that one could gripe about if one wants to gripe about politicians. And apparently there's a lot more. Personally, I think as Vice President, she'd be another disaster, but that's just my opinion.
Anne G

[quote=""Ash""]I am really tired of this whole thing. There are many other things coming out about Palin right now that people need to read and hear about. The pregnancy is a smoke screen.

And MLE you are right of course about this being a History forum. But this is 'chat' and I assume thats open? If not, someone needs to define what the 'chat thread' is for. And BTW I do like your statement above.[/quote]

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 5:33 am

Ultimately, if a teenager gets pregnant, it's her parents problem -- yes, abstinence is a wonderful thing, but if you have raging hormones and unsupervised teens, it's a pretty good bet that someone might turn up pregnant. Personally, I think that with an infant with Down's Syndrome, and a teenage mother on the way, Ms. Palin might find more prudent to be at home with her family, as both of those conditions require a helluva lot of time and hands on care. On a personal viewpoint, the amount of sex education I recieved from my mother was 'If you get pregnant, I will kill you.' Considering her personality, I didn't dare mess around.

As to the abortion question, I think a woman should always have the right to choose for herself whether or not to full term with a child, and have the option to terminate or not, and have safe medical care. In the end, it should be _her_ decision, and not one for the religious right or politicians to decide. Yes, I had to make that choice once, and it was a godawful decision. In the end, it turned out to be right one. I don't know of any woman who made the decision to have an abortion making it on a whim. And I never want to hear of women having to resort to self-abortions or going to some hack of a doctor to get one, because of right wing moralizing men (as most anti-abortion fanatics are) deciding that all life is holy.

If it's so sacred, then get programs in place to help those who need it in both the pre term and post-term births, and help them raise healthy, well-adjusted children who can prosper. Otherwise, it is hypocrisy at the worst, and just another means of controlling women.

Sorry to be so longwinded here, but it's an issue that I feel very strongly about.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:45 am

[quote=""Ash""]
And MLE you are right of course about this being a History forum. But this is 'chat' and I assume thats open? If not, someone needs to define what the 'chat thread' is for. And BTW I do like your statement above.[/quote]

As long as everyone remains civil and respectful these kinds of threads will be allowed.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 11:28 am

a lot of teens do stupid things and things their parents wouldnt want them to do. Its typical. Should it have happened. In a perfect world no. But it did.. and it sucks. But I dont think the medai should focus in on it.

The library book banning thing is interseting though....
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 11:53 am

[quote=""Telynor""]Ultimately, if a teenager gets pregnant, it's her parents problem -- yes, abstinence is a wonderful thing, but if you have raging hormones and unsupervised teens, it's a pretty good bet that someone might turn up pregnant. Personally, I think that with an infant with Down's Syndrome, and a teenage mother on the way, Ms. Palin might find more prudent to be at home with her family, as both of those conditions require a helluva lot of time and hands on care. On a personal viewpoint, the amount of sex education I recieved from my mother was 'If you get pregnant, I will kill you.' Considering her personality, I didn't dare mess around.

As to the abortion question, I think a woman should always have the right to choose for herself whether or not to full term with a child, and have the option to terminate or not, and have safe medical care. In the end, it should be _her_ decision, and not one for the religious right or politicians to decide. Yes, I had to make that choice once, and it was a godawful decision. In the end, it turned out to be right one. I don't know of any woman who made the decision to have an abortion making it on a whim. And I never want to hear of women having to resort to self-abortions or going to some hack of a doctor to get one, because of right wing moralizing men (as most anti-abortion fanatics are) deciding that all life is holy.

If it's so sacred, then get programs in place to help those who need it in both the pre term and post-term births, and help them raise healthy, well-adjusted children who can prosper. Otherwise, it is hypocrisy at the worst, and just another means of controlling women.

Sorry to be so longwinded here, but it's an issue that I feel very strongly about.[/quote]

I totally agree with you!

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 4:28 pm

One blogger who I regularly read wrote there's no perfect family and the Palins are handling it with grace and love.

I think the father of the baby needs to be held accountable.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”