Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where Are You Now?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 2:33 am

Posted by Chuck
Robert Low's new Oathsworn third should be out soon.
10 days to go, according to Book Depository! Though this looks like a HB edition- quite a bit longer to go for the PB version. I'm thinking about it, but I'm trying to be more frugal with the bookbuying this year, and even without paying postage it would be NZ$32.00

The one that I really, really want is Richard Blake's second novel set in the early 7th century, the follow up to "Conspiracies of Rome", which I loved. It's called "The Terror of Constantinople", and BD have it, but again it's a HB and would cost about NZ$50.00. Darn it, I'm just going to have to hang out till the PB edition is published :(

chuck
Bibliophile

Robert Low

Post by chuck » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 5:32 am

[quote=""annis""]Posted by Chuck

10 days to go, according to Book Depository! Though this looks like a HB edition- quite a bit longer to go for the PB version. I'm thinking about it, but I'm trying to be more frugal with the bookbuying this year, and even without paying postage it would be NZ$32.00

The one that I really, really want is Richard Blake's second novel set in the early 7th century, the follow up to "Conspiracies of Rome", which I loved. It's called "The Terror of Constantinople", and BD have it, but again it's a HB and would cost about NZ$50.00. Darn it, I'm just going to have to hang out till the PB edition is published :( [/quote]

Thanks Annis for the update On Low's latest novel....Now I need to bug my library to put it their new books list.....picke(Library) Holland's latest "The High City"....Basil II, Constantinople, Varagarian guards and murderous courtly intrigues....looks good....and I like most of CH's books....

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon February 23rd, 2009, 6:42 am

Sometimes publication dates can differ for the UK and the US but Amazon.com have Low's "White Raven" listed for release 5 March, so it's must be the same timing for both markets.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 8:22 am

I'm in 1890's New York with Miss Lily Bart in House of Mirth by Edith Wharton, who seems to be causing some considerable scandal! Jezebel! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 8:28 am

I am in Norway in 1948 not far from the Swedish border.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 12:09 pm

Sounds interesting what book is that.

Richard
Reader

Post by Richard » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 1:17 pm

I'm on the quarterdeck of a Venetian sailing ship, just over 3000 cubits from land. This distance has significance for exactly one member of the crew. It is summer, 828, and Venice has recently aqcuired a new patron saint.

I expect to be "frozen" here for quite some time as I research the next happenings.
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 1:19 pm

I'm shuttling about the north of England and Scotland, getting timetraveller's nosebleed between present day and and Iron Age.

Richard
Reader

Post by Richard » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 1:23 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]I'm shuttling about the north of England and Scotland, getting timetraveller's nosebleed between present day and and Iron Age.[/quote]

Leo62- I'll be your constant!
How did an 800-year-old headless corpse transform Venice from a backwater
into the greatest sea-empire of the early Middle Ages? Find out at,

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue March 3rd, 2009, 1:39 pm

I am in the midst of Henry IIIs reign, and am discovering just what a horrid little man he was.

Return to “General Discussion”