Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun March 1st, 2009, 12:42 pm

finally got round to seeing "The Other Boleyn Girl", not as bad as I'd expected but very cut-down and they changed some of the charactes quite a bit - I remember Ma Boleyn being just as scheming as the men in that family but in the she hardly says a word! Quite enjoyed it, though it sagged a bit in the middle (and they seemed to completely forget about William Carey, he just didn't appear after their marriage, and then Mary married Stafford with no explanation as to what happened to William). I had fun spotting the locations though, and seeing which ones I've been to, no trouble recognising Lacock Abbey!

also watched some of "Lion in Winter" but unfortunately my Sky system decided to switch itself off halfway through; I happened to come into the room and noticed it was off so switched it back on, thus I've now seen the first 20 mins or so, and the last 45 mins!

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sun March 1st, 2009, 5:50 pm

I'm experiencing the reading blaughs and watching a lot of films.....Just finished "Smart People"....Engaging and enjoyable film....I enjoyed watching the characters and their banter with each other....The dysfunctional family is the key theme....Very 2008/09ish regarding relationships, value systems and socially disconnected characters.....worth a watch.....

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun March 1st, 2009, 7:41 pm

I watched The Jane Austen Book Club last night. I hated the book but I think the movie was okay. It's not often you say that the movie was better than the book but this is one of those times.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Sun March 1st, 2009, 7:43 pm

Some movies really are better than the books, the Godfather springs to mind.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 1:41 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]finally got round to seeing "The Other Boleyn Girl", not as bad as I'd expected but very cut-down and they changed some of the charactes quite a bit - I remember Ma Boleyn being just as scheming as the men in that family but in the she hardly says a word! Quite enjoyed it, though it sagged a bit in the middle (and they seemed to completely forget about William Carey, he just didn't appear after their marriage, and then Mary married Stafford with no explanation as to what happened to William). I had fun spotting the locations though, and seeing which ones I've been to, no trouble recognising Lacock Abbey!

also watched some of "Lion in Winter" but unfortunately my Sky system decided to switch itself off halfway through; I happened to come into the room and noticed it was off so switched it back on, thus I've now seen the first 20 mins or so, and the last 45 mins![/quote]

Was a different version of TOBG released in the UK than in the US? Cause the one I saw made it plain that William Carey died, though they did alter the circumstances from the book. I think Stafford even mentioned it.

Working my way through The Hoax and very much enjoying it.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 2:10 am

"Hellboy II: The Golden Army".

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 11:37 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Was a different version of TOBG released in the UK than in the US? Cause the one I saw made it plain that William Carey died, though they did alter the circumstances from the book. I think Stafford even mentioned it.[/quote]

I don't remember any mention of Carey dying, unless I thought they were talking about someone else if the circumstances were different!

I hated the Jane Austen Book Club as well, haven't seen the film but it couldn't be much worse than the book.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 11:45 am

I didn't remember a mention of Carey dying either in TOBG.

Hugh Dancey was worth looking at in Jane Austen Book Club if nothing else.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 8:23 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I didn't remember a mention of Carey dying either in TOBG.
[/quote]

Glad it wasn't just me! :o

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 8:36 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I watched The Jane Austen Book Club last night. I hated the book but I think the movie was okay. It's not often you say that the movie was better than the book but this is one of those times.[/quote]

I enjoyed this movie - perfect Saturday afternoon fare :D Haven't read the book, and don't think I'll bother now...

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”