Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pats reading in 2009

What have you read in 2009? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
pat
Avid Reader

Pats reading in 2009

Post by pat » Sun February 1st, 2009, 5:13 am

The Far Pavillions 4/5

The story of Ash and India. Wonderfully written, and really enjoyed!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Mon February 9th, 2009, 9:35 am

Outlander, Diana Gabaldon 4/5

Loved it!! Cant wait to read the next one! I never thought I would enjoy a time travell book, but there is also humour there that I loved!

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Fri February 27th, 2009, 5:29 am

The Last Chinese Chef - Nicole Mones 3/5

Maggie has to go to China to get a DNA sample from a child whose mother claims Maggies dead husband is the father off. She is a food journalst, so to help her is given a job from her editor to write about Sam Liang. The immediately become friends and help eachother.
The story is good and the information regarding the food is really good, how banquets were prepared and how Chefs were delt with in Maos time. Really enjoyed it, modern and Chinese HF!

On the Edge - My story by Richard Hammond 5/5
Best Autobiog I have read! The Top Gear presenter writes of his accident in the jet car, and how he struggled with his injury. His wife Mindy also writes, as Richard had in her words the attention span of a goldfish as he was recovering from the brain damage. This would have been a good read if it had not been Hammy, but with it being him and he is a lovely bloke and a bit of a looker it was fantastic! I was laughing with his humour and crying with his and Mindys dispare through his 'journey'. His personality shines through in his words.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri February 27th, 2009, 8:50 am

I wouldn't mind reading the Richard Hammond book!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sat February 28th, 2009, 11:06 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]I wouldn't mind reading the Richard Hammond book![/quote]

Loved it! Best auto biog I have read! Nothing to do with him being a bit...no, a lot scrummy!

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sun March 29th, 2009, 7:37 am

Gosh! so long since I logged my reads!

Dragon Fly in Amber, Diana Gabaldon 3.5/5
I enjoyed the way the story returned to the past and future, however I felt it became a bit long and predictable. I will continue in the series, but with a break for a bit!

The Alphabet Sisters, Monica McInnery 4/5
This was good. The sisters have backgrounds, and problems, and a story to tell. Very emotional.

Now, I am sure I have read something else to go on here, but cant remember what!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun March 29th, 2009, 7:24 pm

I sat down to read The Alphabet Sisters one day, and ended up reading it in one sitting and sobbed my heart out while reading! Very emotional.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Fri April 17th, 2009, 4:44 am

North and South, E Gaskell 5/5

Having been a fan of the BBC series version with Richard Armitage and Daniella Denby-Ashe for a while, I decided I should read the 'real' version. I was pleasently suprised that so much of the book made it into the tv version, and if it had been changed on the tv, you could appreciate why.

At first, I read with a comparative mind; this or that is not the same, but as I got further into the novel I couldnt wait to find out more. The novel had depth that the tv series didnt. I read with Richard Armitage as John, and his character was everything RA put into it. His moodiness and pwhooar appeal came through!

I even got used to the way Higgins spoke!

Luckily, I brought the novel; something I do not usually do, this time I am so thankful as I feel it will be read again! I loved it.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Wed July 15th, 2009, 6:18 am

gosh! Its been so long since I logged my reads! From memory here goes:

Mr Darcy takes a wife by Linda Berdoll: 3/4
Followed on but was a bit out of character! Went on about Darcys manhood!

Coronation Talkies by Susan Kurosawa: 4/4
Set in fictional Chalaili, India in the 30's, when the British rule was coming to an end. It tells of a woman who goes to India as a new bride to a man she hardly knows. It also tells of Mrs Ragat Banerjee, as she sets up the motion picture house. A very involved plot, but entertaining!

Oh my gosh! That is only the last two I returned to the library! And I have read so much!! I must put on my thinking cap!

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2009”